So you guys….are you feeling the Cinco de Mayo vibes or what? I’m on a major Mexican/Southwestern kick and it’s not stopping until Tuesday. Last week it was the round up, today it’s this sweet potato + black bean quinoa salad and Tuesday is going to be Margarita Green Smoothies.
So pretty please just indulge me…if only for the next few days!
Today though? It’s all about this salad. With chili roasted sweet potatoes, earthy black beans, nutty quinoa, crunchy lettuce and a creamy avocado-cilantro dressing, it’s got everything you need to make salad the star of your meal.
Personally, I’m a big fan of making salads for dinner. I think it’s fun to change things up; swap in different ingredients, add a variety of protein sources and just go a little wild. Salads are one of those meals you can really play around with.
But what I love most about salad is that it’s simple. It’s not fussy. It’s not overly complicated. It’s just veggies on top of veggies on top of veggies, sometimes drizzled in an ultra creamy and decadent sauce.
Yeah, sounds like my kind of meal.
Sticking true to salads’ roots, I wanted to make sure this black bean quinoa salad was super simple. The only cooking involved is the sweet potatoes and really that’s just peeling, chopping, tossing in some spices and letting them roast away.
Everything else just get’s mixed together at the end.
(well…the dressing is made in the blender, but that only takes like a few seconds)
Dinner in 30 minutes? I’ll take it. Any day of the week.
Share this recipe!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (made from 1 cup dry)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt + pepper
- Lettuce/greens to serve
- 1 batch Cilantro-Avocado Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato in small, bite-sized pieces. Melt the coconut oil and drizzle it over the sweet potatoes. Toss to coat. Add in chili powder and sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
- Roast sweet potatoes for 20 – 25 minutes until tender, stirring half way through so as not to burn them.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, rinse and drain the black beans. Add them to a large bowl along with quinoa. Set aside.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender (starting with less water and adding more as needed). Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add enough water to make it drizzable.
- Once sweet potatoes are done roasting, let them cool for 5 minutes. Add to the bowl with black beans and quinoa. Squeeze lime juice over the top and stir to combine.
- Arrange lettuce in 4 bowls Top with sweet potato-black bean mixture and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy as is or toss everything together in the bowls (I did this and it was yum!).
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 584kcal Calories from fat 238|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 26g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Dietary Fiber 19g||76%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your own quinoa creations!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa dinner recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!