Try this healthy, black bean quinoa chili with chunky sweet potatoes and hearty sweet potatoes. The best part? It's made in a slower cooker, so it's easy and mostly hands-off!
Well, it's time my friends. Time to turn on the slow cooker. Time to pull out those chunky sweaters from the back of the closet. And the time to cozy up to a big bowl of chili.
And my #1 go-to chili recipe is always this. My sweet potato black bean quinoa chili that's made in a slow cooker. It's hearty, it's cozy, it's comforting, it's easy to make and it's INCREDIBLY delicious!!
And it's perfect for this time of year. There's honestly nothing that will warm you up faster than a bowl of this!
Why You'll Love this Quinoa Chili
If you followed SQ last winter, then you might have seen (or better yet, tried) my spicy quinoa chili recipe. It's a good one, but this one's better 😉
1) LOTS of sweet potato
2) black beans
3) lots of spices
5) slow cooker
And the last one might just be my favorite.
What You Need for This Recipe
See all those goodies in there? The spices, baby bits of quinoa, beans, and chunky sweet potatoes will slowly meld together and turn into the most spectacular chili EVER.
One thing to mention is that it might seem a little thin or liquidy at first, but as it cooks the quinoa will also cook, absorbing a lot of that liquid and helping the whole thing get nice and thick.
Here's what you need to make this quinoa chili:
- VEGGIES: for the veggies, we've got sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- PROTEIN: for the protein, we've got black beans and quinoa.
- TOMATOES: I like to use fire-roasted tomatoes in my chili recipes because they add more flavor! We'll also be stirring in some tomato paste to make it nice and thick.
- SPICES: I've got my classic chili blend of spices in this recipe. We're using chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
And finally, we'll just add in some veggie broth to get everything simmering and soft!
How to Make Black Bean Quinoa Chili
Since we're making this recipe in a slow cooker, it's one of those meals that's just you just dump everything in and turn it on. Just add all the ingredients into your slow cooker, stir it together, then cover it and let it cook. You can cook this chili on high for 4 – 6 hours or on low for 6 – 8 hours. You're looking for it to be thick and for the sweet potatoes to be soft/tender. Taste it before you serve and adjust seasonings as needed!
What to Serve with Chili
Also, while totally optional, topping your chili might just be the best part. Here's what I like to use:
- a big ol' dollop of guac (or cubed avocado)
- sliced hot peppers (I ran out when I made this)
- crumbled tortilla chips
And If I've got it on hand, I'll also add a dollop of coconut yogurt for some creaminess.
This recipe honestly is my favorite chili and has been for years! It's loved by this community as well and I can't wait for you to try it. You can also totally meal prep this recipe, freeze it and enjoy it all week/winter long!
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- Coconut Quinoa Curry
- White Quinoa Chili
- Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Lentil Sloppy Joes
Crockpot Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- 3 cups diced sweet potato about 1 large
- 1 cup diced red onion about 1 medium
- 1 cup diced bell peppers about 1 large
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz can organic black beans
- 1 28 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 – 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne more or less to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients into a crock pot (starting with just 3 cups of broth). Turn on high and cook for 4 hours, turn down to low and continue to cook until ready to serve. If too thick, stir in another ½ – 1 cup of water.
- Serve with diced avocado (or guac) and tortilla chips. It’s such a good combo!