Because apparently there's some sort of hurricane coming towards the East Coast right now and it's makin' things pretty darn miserable out there. A hurricane? really?
Yep, it's definitely chili time. There's nothing that will warm your up faster than a bowl of this.
If you followed SQ last winter, then you might have seen (or better yet, tried) my spicy quinoa chili recipe. It's a good one, but this one's better 😉
Why? 1) LOTS of sweet potato. 2) black beans. 3) lots of spices. 4) vegetarian. 5) slow cooker.
And the last one might just be my favorite.
See all those goodies in there? The spices, baby bits of quinoa, beans and chunky sweet potatoes will slowly meld together and turn into the most spectacular chili EVER.
One thing to mention is that it might seem at little thin or liquidy at first, but as it cooks the quinoa will also cook, absorbing a lot of that liquid and helping the whole thing get nice and thick.
I mean…it's hard to resist, ain't it?
Also, while totally optional, the cubed avocado (or better yet a big ol' dollop of guac) and tortilla chips are phenom. It makes it feel little bit like a slice of Mexican heaven, perhaps taking your mind off that fact that it's cold and miserable out.
So excuse me while I go dig into my leftovers.
I'll be on the couch, with a giant bag of chips next to me, pup at my feet and a big bowl of quinoa chili in my lap. Happy Sunday friends!
PS: if you make this recipe (or any others!) make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using hashtag #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your creations!
adapted from my Three Alarm Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- 3 cups diced sweet potato (about 1 large)
- 1 cup diced red onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (about 1 large)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can organic black beans
- 1 (28 oz) can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 – 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients into a crock pot (starting with just 3 cups of broth). Turn on high and cook for 4 hours, turn down to low and continue to cook until ready to serve. If too thick, stir in another ½ – 1 cup of water.
- Serve with diced avocado (or guac) and tortilla chips. It’s such a good combo!
For those looking to make this in a dutch oven, cut the liquid in half and cook it at 300ºF for two hours
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 174kcal Calories from fat 15|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
OTHER CROCKPOT QUINOA RECIPES TO TRY:
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Download Your Free Guide