Try this healthy, vegetarian quinoa chili with chunky sweet potatoes and hearty sweet potatoes. The best part? It's made in a slower cooker, so it's easy and mostly hands-off!
Well, it's the time my friends. Time to turn on the slow cooker. Time to pull out those chunky sweaters from the back of the closet. And the time to cozy up to a big bowl of chili.
Because apparently there's some sort of hurricane coming towards the East Coast right now and it's makin' things pretty darn miserable out there. A hurricane? really?
Yep, it's definitely chili time. There's nothing that will warm you up faster than a bowl of this.
If you followed SQ last winter, then you might have seen (or better yet, tried) my spicy quinoa chili recipe. It's a good one, but this one's better 😉
Why? 1) LOTS of sweet potato. 2) black beans. 3) lots of spices. 4) vegetarian. 5) slow cooker.
And the last one might just be my favorite.
See all those goodies in there? The spices, baby bits of quinoa, beans, and chunky sweet potatoes will slowly meld together and turn into the most spectacular chili EVER.
One thing to mention is that it might seem a little thin or liquidy at first, but as it cooks the quinoa will also cook, absorbing a lot of that liquid and helping the whole thing get nice and thick.
I mean…it's hard to resist, ain't it?
Also, while totally optional, the cubed avocado (or better yet a big ol' dollop of guac) and tortilla chips are a phenom. It makes it feel a little bit like a slice of Mexican heaven, perhaps taking your mind off the fact that it's cold and miserable out.
So excuse me while I go dig into my leftovers.
I'll be on the couch, with a giant bag of chips next to me, pup at my feet and a big bowl of quinoa chili in my lap. Happy Sunday friends!
PS: if you make this recipe (or any others!) make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using hashtag #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your creations!
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- Slow Cooker Coconut Quinoa Curry
- Slow Cooker White Quinoa Chili
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes
Crockpot Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- 3 cups diced sweet potato about 1 large
- 1 cup diced red onion about 1 medium
- 1 cup diced bell peppers about 1 large
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz can organic black beans
- 1 28 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 – 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne more or less to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients into a crock pot (starting with just 3 cups of broth). Turn on high and cook for 4 hours, turn down to low and continue to cook until ready to serve. If too thick, stir in another ½ – 1 cup of water.
- Serve with diced avocado (or guac) and tortilla chips. It’s such a good combo!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Download Your Free Guide