The best part of this gluten-free skillet chocolate chip cookie? It's not only gluten-free but also dairy-free and refined sugar-free as well. And it's actually healthy.
Have you ever had a skillet cookie? If you haven't, I think it's about high time that you give it a shot. I hadn't had one before, but I had a hankering for cookies and felt like I wanted to stray from my standard quinoa chocolate chip cookies. I hopped on Insta and bam there it was. Cookies in a cast-iron skillet. Day made.
The beauty of a skillet cookie is that it's basically like a cookie pie. A giant chocolate chip cookie that you can slice like a pie or share like a pie. And you can top it with ice cream. And it's absolutely delicious!
So today we're making my new cookie obsession: a gluten-free skillet chocolate chip cookie that's ooey, gooey and delicious!
Pizookie or Skillet Cookie?
I'd say they're actually one in the same! I don't know who coined the term “pizookie”, but it's pretty genius. It's a cross between a pizza and a cookie. Essentially just a deep dish cookie served with two scoops of vanilla ice cream and served hot in the pan.
Gosh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
And all you need to do is make your cookie dough, dump it into a skillet, press it into the pan and bake it up. It's perfection!
Ingredients for our Gluten-Free Skillet Cookie
So the only real difference with this recipe is the way we cookie it, so we're basically just making a gooey chocolate cookie dough as our base! I have a few healthy chocolate chip cookie recipes on the blog already (linked below!), but I wanted to come up with a new combo.
Here's what are the stars of these healthy skillet cookies:
- coconut oil
- coconut sugar
- flax eggs
- maple syrup
- almond flour
- brown rice flour
Beaten together and they turn into this gorgeousness. They're soft, gooey, sweet (but not overly so) and delicious. They're also gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. So…HEALTHY TOO!
The Best Gluten-Free Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie EVER!
But the best part of this gluten-free skillet chocolate chip cookie? Aside from the fact that it's delicious? Not only is it gluten-free, but it's also dairy-free and refined sugar-free as well. And it's actually healthy.
Not to say that I recommend sitting down and polishing off one of these cookies for yourself, but when you're eating a dessert that's packed with super healthy ingredients like almond flour, brown rice, coconut and chocolate altogether? You're totally allowed to have one extra slice and enjoy every minute of it.
More Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies to try:
- Vegan Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies
- Super Healthy Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookie Bars
Gluten-Free Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup softened coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray an oven proof skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and oil. Once fluffy, beat in the flax eggs and maple syrup until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) and beat together to form a thick cookie dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cookie dough to the skillet and press it down so that it spreads out evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and still slightly soft. Cool slightly, then top with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream (optional but delicious) and enjoy!