These flourless chocolate hazelnut cookies are a delicious sweet treat, packed with nutritious ingredients. Made without gluten, dairy, flour, or oil too!
Whenever I share my recipe for homemade nutella, it goes crazy. That combo – chocolate and hazelnut – is a flavor that everyone loves. And I get it! Hazelnuts have this amazing flavor that is incredibly unique and pairs very well with chocolate. They're somewhat sweet with a rich nutty undertone. The two are really a match made in heaven!
But to be honest, hazelnuts aren't something I use often. So I wanted to create a recipe that reminded me of nutella, but came in cookie form.
And I settled on these: flourless chocolate hazelnut cookies with a spicy little twist!
How to make Flourless Cookies
The key to making these healthy chocolate cookies is your food processor. While you might be able to buy hazelnut flour (I know that Bob's Red Mill sells it), I personally like to grind my own.
I find that the texture of these cookies is a little richer and more flavorful when you opt for fresh hazelnuts instead of flour.
So how do we make them? We simply grind up our hazelnuts, with our coconut sugar and cacao powder until we've got a sandy, almost flour like texture. Then mix in your other ingredients, form them into cookies and bake them up!
Healthy Chocolate & Cherry Cookies
Interestingly enough, the inspiration for this recipe actually came through a delicious bar of chocolate. Sipping on my nightly Mint Magic tea, eating a tiny square of Chills & Cherries from Chocolove, it hit me. This should be a cookie.
My mind immediately jumped to an almond flour base, but we have a lot of readers with almond allergies, so I wanted to create something a little bit different. And what goes better with chocolate, chills, and cherries than hazelnuts? Mmm, not much!
So hazelnuts it is. And so I present to you my very own hazelnut meal spicy chocolate cookies. These little bites of goodness are sweet, healthy and make a fabulous gift as well!
Happy baking ❤️
More Healthy Cookie Recipes
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oat & Quinoa Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Protein Cookies
VIDEO: How To Make Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup dried cherries , chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (less if you want less of a kick, these were spicy!)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 organic free range egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips , melted
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Add the hazelnuts, coconut sugar and cacao into a food processor. Process on high until a sandy texture has formed. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- To the bowl, add the cherries, coconut, cayenne and salt. Stir it with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add the egg and syrup, and fold the wet ingredients into the hazelnut spice mixture until you have a soft, gooey dough.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, spoon the batter into balls and form into cookies with your hands. You want your cookies to be roughly 1/2" thick. Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat until you've used all the dough.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 10 - 12 minutes until somewhat firm. Be careful not to overcook these, the hazelnuts seem to bake quickly.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely, then drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with coconut.