How to Make Quinoa Crispies
Learn how to make quinoa crispies at home. All you need is cooked quinoa and 30 minutes to make this delicious and nutritious snack!
If you’ve been an SQ reader for a while then you’ve probably heard me talk about quinoa crispies before. I used them in my quinoa crispy treats way back in the day, and have since added them to chocolate, energy balls, and granola bars.
Butttt trouble is…they’re hard to find.
Whenever I use them in a recipe, I know I’m going to get a few comments/emails about what the heck they are and where the heck you can find them.
What are Quinoa Crispies?
Quinoa crispies (or crisps) are basically the rice crispy version of quinoa. They’re essentially quinoa which has been popped in some magical machine to make it super crispy. A similar texture to rice crispies, but much smaller.
Where can you find them? Maybe if you’re lucky you can find them at a natural health food store, but I’ve never seen them there, so I always point people online. You can usually find them either on Amazon or from Edison Grainery.
Only thing is they can be a little on the pricey side, unless…
…YOU MAKE THEM AT HOME!
Yes! I figured out how to make quinoa crispies at home (shout out to my homegirl Monique from Ambitious Kitchen for sparking this idea) and I’m obsessed.
I literally make them all the time and use them for everything. They are super easy to make, all you need is 1 ingredient and 30 minutes. So easy in fact, I made you a little video 😉
How to make Quinoa Crispies?
Quinoa crispies go well on pretty much everything. I’ve been having them almost every morning on my smoothie bowls, sprinkle them on my yogurt, toss them on top of banana ice cream and use them in chocolate bars (recipe coming soon) AND energy bars (recipe coming Thursday!).
Only thing I haven’t tried them in is my quinoa crispy treats, but not to worry, that’s next on the agenda.
Now that you can see how easy it is to make quinoa crispies, are you going to try it? What are you going to use them for? I’d love to hear about your creations, so snap a pic and share it on Instagram using #simplyquinoa – can’t wait to see what you come up with!
p.s. think we can get a hashtag going? Just like #quinoapizza, I think we should use #quinoacrisps for anything we make with our crispies. Who’s with me? You rock!
Fantastic Recipes to try with Quinoa Crispies:
- Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate Quinoa Energy Balls
- Crispy Tofu Tacos with Vegan Lime Crema
- 5-Ingredient Chocolate Quinoa Birds Nest Cookies
- Coconut Chai Protein Quinoa Energy Bites
- Apple, Peanut + Honey Quinoa Granola Bars
- Vegan Almond Butter Cups with Crispy Quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa or more if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Transfer quinoa to a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes so as not to burn it.
- Once crispy, allow the quinoa to cool completely then transfer to a glass container and store on the counter for up to 1 week.
- Enjoy on top of smoothie bowls, stirred into your yogurt or even just a quick snack. So good!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.