These morning glory quinoa breakfast bars are a portable, high-protein way to start your day. They're sweetened naturally, with no eggs, gluten or dairy!
I get my sweet tooth from my dad. Chocolate tends to be my downfall, but for Dad, it's all about the breakfast pastries. He can't go by a bakery without popping his head in and grabbing a muffin, or a scone, or a sticky bun.
We have this lovely bakery in my hometown that makes the most amazing muffins. I've talked about their blueberry variety before – which were definitely my fave – but Dad always used to come home with Morning Glory. I couldn't understand it. Why would you want fruits, vegetables, nuts AND raising inside your muffin?
But now I see. Now we're on the same page, Dad. Morning Glory breakfast treats have become my jam.
I've taken the concept of those decadent muffins and turned them into even more amazing quinoa breakfast bars.
We stripped away all the junk that you usually find in traditional bakery muffins and instead filled these bars with ingredients that won't send your blood sugar on a roller coaster, will actually keep you full AND will provide lasting energy all morning long.
What you won't see in these morning glory breakfast bars:
- Refined sugar
But even more important is what we will find in these bars. Not only are they incredibly moist and flavorful, but they're…
- Sweetened naturally using fruits + coconut sugar
- High in protein from the chickpeas + quinoa flour
- Crunchy from the pecans
- Warming from the ground cinnamon
- Bursting with mini pockets of flavor from the raisins
While they'll certainly remind you of a traditional morning glory muffin, these quinoa breakfast bars are anything but traditional. They're packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats AND vitamins. And are definitely a much smarter food to give your body first thing in the morning.
But aside from all the amazing ingredients, I also love that these bars are easy to make. You toss all your wet ingredients into a blender, then stir it into the flour + sugar, fold in your add-ins and you're done. I think the whole batch takes maybe 10 minutes to prepare.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE THESE QUINOA BREAKFAST BARS
See how simple? And I promise…don't be scared of the chickpeas. You can't taste them at all!
What is your go-to, unhealthy treat at a bakery? I'd love to see if I could recreate a healthy version for you! And while we're at it, let's talk about your favorite portable breakfast. Got any recipes that you'd like to share? Drop me a note in the comments!
More Scrumptious Breakfast Bar Recipes to try:
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Breakfast Bars with Quinoa
- Lemon Raspberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Strawberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Vegan Carrot Cake Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Apple Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Flourless Banana-Quinoa Breakfast Bars
Morning Glory Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- 1 flax egg 1½ tablespoons flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup mashed banana about 1 large banana
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup quinoa flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup grated apple
- ¼ cup chopped pecans + more for topping optional
- ¼ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend the chickpeas, banana and applesauce in a blender until completely smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, reserving the carrot, apple, pecans and raisins. Pour the chickpea puree into the bowl along with the flax egg and mix to combine. Fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Dump the batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the center rack for 25 - 28 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 - 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. (if you want to use a frosting, you could use the one I put on my carrot cake bars!)
- Slice into 12 - 16 bars. Store in an airtight container for 2 - 3 days.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa dinner recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!