Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars
These blueberry quinoa breakfast bars are an easy, on-the-go breakfast treat that are packed with fresh fruit, whole grain fiber, and protein!
And my quinoa breakfast obsession continues.
This time, it’s a spin on my flourless quinoa breakfast bars, studded with fresh, juicy blueberries, with a hint of tangy lemon. Every bite is bursting with flavor, they’re only lightly sweetened and have this wonderful hearty texture. A fill-you-up bar that’s perfect for oatmeal, fruit and on-the-go breakfast lovers alike.
But before I tell you all about my latest breakfast obsession, I want to first tell you about something SQ related that I’m really excited about. It’s a…
with tons of healthy recipes that make starting your day with a nutritious breakfast super easy. Nutritious, delicious and simple? You betcha! I’m seriously SO excited!
The focus of this book is going to be on helping you incorporate energizing, nutrient-dense ingredients into your morning meals that will get you out of your breakfast rut (we’ve allll been there) and help you stay away from the processed, junk-filled options that are out there. And almost every single recipe is BRAND NEW – as in never before seen on the blog – I've just added in a few blog favorites! yay yay YAY!
I’m still in the process of putting the entire book together and I’ve realized that I need a little help…from you!
I’d love to get your input on things as I get closer to launching it, so I’ve put together a small community of Simply Quinoa friends on Facebook! This is a place where you’ll be able to weigh in on things like design, recipes, photos, etc., and also get a peek behind the scenes of how we do things around here (Trevi pics included).
I’d be so happy if you joined our little group – it’s going to be super fun! Here’s two ways to join:
Either request to join the group by following this link
- Hop over to Facebook and search for “Simply Quinoa Ambassador Team”
- Request to join the group
- I’ll approve you and we’ll be groupies together!
And that’s it. Can’t wait to see you there!
K, now moving on from our exciting new cookbook project and back to these fantabulous blueberry quinoa breakfast bars. Sorry to hold out on you like that…
Making another flavor of my breakfast bars has been on my mind since I originally shared the recipe a few months ago. They’re just one of those things that is super easy to make and has a fairly basic flavor profile that you can totally jazz up with add ins. (sound familiar? it's kind of how my breakfast cookies are too!)
Blueberries were a natural first choice because
a) I love blueberry-flavored anything for breakfast
b) they're in season right now
and c) anything that tastes like blueberry pancakes is a keeper for me
Last weekend, while I was visiting my parents, my mom and I went berry picking. A family friend of ours has the most amazing blueberries and each year we stock up. LITERALLY. This was my mom’s third time picking this season (our freezer is already full) and we came home with at least another 5 pounds of berries.
We froze a bunch and I’ve been adding them to my smoothies every morning, but the rest have been used for munching, adding to granola and these breakfast bars.
Rather than simply adding blueberries to my original recipe, I did change things up a little this time around.
I decided to cut back on the nut butter just a tad and added in a bunch of hemp seeds. The end result was the same, but the bars are a little lower in fat and way higher in protein. The hemp seeds are not even noticeable since they’re so small and tender, so you just get all their added goodness, basically for free. Major bonus!
Aside from the sweet, bursting blueberries and undertones of vanilla and banana, I love how portable these bars are. They're one of those breakfasts that you can grab on your way out the door, throw in your gym bag, or even just keep at your desk as a snack. They're totally kid-friendly too, so you can add them to lunchboxes!
The bars will keep for several days, so making them on a Sunday is a great way to have breakfast ready for the week ahead. (hint, hint)
Oh and I haven't tried these using frozen berries, but I imagine they work just as well as fresh! Which means….blueberry breakfast bars all year long. YES!
Do you heart quinoa? Share this with your friends!
More Breakfast Bar Recipes
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Protein Bars
- Healthy Apple Crumble Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Power Bars
Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup mashed bananas about 2 medium
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons of water)
- 2 tablespoons nut/seed butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9"x 9" baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the sides with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, quinoa, sugar, baking powder, and hemp seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix the banana, nut butter, flax eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients, mixing everything together until fully incorporated. The batter should be moist, but not runny. Fold in the blueberries
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake on the center rack for 25 - 35 minutes until the bars are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool completely in the pan, then remove and slice into squares (or rectangles). Store in an airtight container for 4 - 5 days.