Apple Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bars
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
Healthy quinoa breakfast bars flavored to taste just like apple pie. Indulgent in taste, but nutritious and the perfect way to start your day.
I was thinking about my pumpkin pie breakfast cookies the other day and it got me thinking about portable breakfast treats. You know, the kind of thing you can take with you when you don't have time to make something healthy in the morning.
Usually, I'll make myself a smoothie. I have one of those plastic to-go cups with a straw, so it actually feels like I'm drinking a store-bought smoothie but it's saving me a bajillion dollars. Cookies are another option of course. As are granola bars.
But what if you want something warm? Oatmeal could be an option, but I'm not huge on the instant packets.
Then I remembered my quinoa breakfast bars!
I hadn't made a batch in forever, and even though I usually eat them room temperature, they would totally be amazing reheated. So I started brainstorming flavors. I wanted something autumn-inspired, but I already did pumpkin. Sweet potato crossed my mind, but I haven't made the leap to sweet potato breakfast foods.
So….apples. Of course, apples! How was that not the first thing that came to mind?
These apple pie breakfast bars are just the treat you need when you're racing around in the morning and don't have time to think about breakfast. You can just toss them in your bag on the way out the door and reheat them when you get to the office.
And if you smothered them in a little peanut butter? Okay yep, that's pretty much my dream.
Not only are these bars gluten-free AND vegan, but they're also loaded with fresh fruit, protein-rich quinoa, and fiber-packed oats. They're basically like eating a bowl of oatmeal just in grab-n-go bar form. Cool, right?
With the subtle sweetness from the apple sauce, the caramel flavors of the coconut sugar, the nutty undertones from the cashew butter and the extra cinnamon spice, these bars taste like a slice of dreamy apple pie, just without all the butter and sugar.
I chose to slice them on the larger side so that one bar would fill me up, but these also make a great mid-afternoon or post-workout snack. Since they're low in sugar, high in complex carbs and just a hint of protein, they've got everything you need to fuel up.
Plus, don't forget to add some nut butter on top for added flavor and protein!
More Delicious and Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Bar Recipes to try:
- Lemon Raspberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Breakfast Bars with Quinoa
- Morning Glory Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars
Apple Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats or oat flour
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract*
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs reference this recipe for how to make them
- 1/4 cup nut/seed butter
- 2 small apples thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9"x 9" baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the sides with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, quinoa, sugar, baking powder, and spices.
- In a separate bowl, mix the applesauce, nut butter and flax eggs. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients, mixing everything together until fully incorporated. The batter should be moist, but not runny.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Arrange apple slices over top.
- Bake on the center rack for 35 - 40 minutes until the bars are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool completely in the pan, then remove and slice into squares (or rectangles). Store in an airtight container for 4 - 5 days.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!