This Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie is a healthy high-protein breakfast with healthy fats, tons of fiber and plenty of protein from nut butter, chia and protein powder. A delicious way to start your day!
If you love having a smoothie for breakfast, you probably know that it's about more than just flavor.
Smoothies made with whole food ingredients are a great way to start your day with fiber, protein, and fat. Not to mention vitamins, minerals, and an extra boost of hydration.
This smoothie recipe also just happens to taste like your favorite sandwich from childhood (and let's be honest, probably still a fave): peanut butter and jelly.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie
Here's what you need to make this five-minute breakfast recipe:
- Spinach. You can use frozen or fresh.
- Blueberries. I recommend frozen to give your smoothie a thick, creamy texture.
- Peanut butter. I like smooth, unsweetened peanut butter.
- Banana. Again, frozen is best for texture!
- Protein powder. I recommend vanilla, but you can use your favorite protein. You can also leave this out, but it really helps make the smoothie more filling!
- Chia seeds. These help your smoothie get nice and thick. Plus, they're full of healthy omega-3 fats.
- Coconut water. You can also use nut milk or regular water if you prefer.
How to Make a PB&J Smoothie
All it takes to bring this smoothie together is a blender. I love my high-speed blender from Vitamix! It makes smoothies so creamy and gives them the absolute best texture (plus your smoothie comes together in a snap).
But you can make a smoothie in any normal blender! Just be sure to add the ingredients in the order listed 😉
As soon as your smoothie is silky smooth, pour it into glasses and enjoy!
Can You Make Smoothies Ahead of Time?
Smoothies might seem like something you need to drink right away, but you can totally make them ahead of time!
If you make your smoothie ahead of time either:
- Refrigerate: you can refrigerate your smoothie for 1 – 2 days in the fridge
- Freeze: pout your smoothie into a glass mason jar and pop it in the freezer. Leave it out to thaw the night before you want to drink it.
Can I Make a PB Smoothie Bowl?
Certainly. If you'd like to make this smoothie into a thicker bowl, simply use less coconut water. You know I love a good smoothie bowl recipe and this peanut butter and jelly smoothie is delicious in bowl form!
You might need to give your blender some help by scraping down the sides, but eventually, it will get there!
Another trick to make your smoothie thicker? Add some avocado!
Then simply pour it into a bowl and add toppings. I recommend some crunchy Honey Banana Turmeric Granola, sliced fruit, and some coconut – yum!
More Smoothie Recipes
If you make this peanut butter and jelly smoothie, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Peanut Butter + Jelly Smoothie
- 1 - 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 - 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 - 1 cup coconut water*
- Add all the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!