This is the ultimate recipe for crispy baked tofu! Quick and easy to make, only 4 ingredients and goes well with everything from tacos, bowls, salads and so much more! A crispy and delicious way to enjoy tofu.
Have you ever had deep-fried tofu? If not, it's heaven. It's crispy on the outside, soft and pillowy on the inside.
But also…not so healthy. I mean I'm definitely not against deep frying, but I also know there are healthier ways to achieve a similar texture.
I've been making baked tofu for years, but have never been able to nail that same deep-fried texture. Until now. And I'm so excited for you to try it too! This is my ultimate recipe for crispy baked tofu and I'm showing you exactly how to make it.
Ingredients You Need for This Recipe
Plain and simple is the name of the game with this one. Just 4 simple ingredients are all you need:
- Extra-firm tofu: we'll be pressing it as well to help get some of the added liquid out.
- Cooking spray (or oil): this helps give us that nice crispy outside.
- Salt: because everything needs some salt.
- Pepper: I love the spice that this gives – freshly cracked is definitely the way too!
See what I mean when I say simple? You don't need anything fancy to make this!
How to Make Crispy Baked Tofu
Similar to the ingredient list, making your crispy baked tofu is also a complete breeze!
STEP ONE: Press
The first trick to perfectly crispy tofu is to press it. You can either invest in a tofu press (which I never have!) or press it at home. Pressing the tofu will release some of the moisture and help it get nice and crispy. If you want to press it at home, place your tofu on a plate. Cover it with a paper towel and then put something heavy on top of it. I like to use a few cookbooks, or sometimes my tea kettle with water in it. You should leave it for at least 15 minutes, but longer if possible.
STEP TWO: Cut & Toss
Once you've pressed your tofu, it's time to cut it up into cubes. I like to do 1″(ish) cubes. Then you'll put it in a bowl, toss it with your cooking spray/oil, salt, and pepper.
STEP THREE: Bake
Spray the pan with some cooking spray (so the tofu doesn't stick). Transfer your tofu cubes onto the pan and make sure they're laying flat and have space on all four sides to cook. We're baking them pretty hot – at 425ºF – for about 40 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
STEP FOUR: Serve
And that's it! Then you'll just serve it up whichever way you like best. I'm sharing some of my favorites towards the end of this post.
Ways to Flavor Crispy Tofu
This recipe is pretty basic in terms of flavor. But it's also a blank canvas.
What's a great about this crispy baked tofu is that you can flavor it basically any which way you want!!
Here are some of my favorite ways:
- Buffalo sauce
- Teryaki sauce
- Cracked pepper
- Barbecue (I love my vegan barbecue sauce!)
- Lemon pepper
If you do want to use a sauce/flavor, I recommend adding it just after you flip the tofu. I pour the sauces onto the tofu just after I flip it, stir it all around, and let it finish the cooking. We just made buffalo tofu the other night and WOW – so dang good!
My Favorite Ways to Serve Crispy Baked Tofu
Tofu is one of those ingredients that can be use tons of different ways. Crispy tofu just as much so!
Here are some ideas for how you can use it:
- Salads: I love this tofu on top of this amazing massaged kale salad.
- Tacos: you can't go wrong with tofu tacos!! I'd recommend adding this into my black bean quinoa tacos – so yum.
- Bowls: if you want some extra protein for your bowls, this is great. Try my Asian quinoa tofu bowl and use this with some peanut sauce!
- Snacks: this also makes a really great snack! Keep some in a little sealed container for a high-protein, satisfying snack.
How do you think you'd serve this? I'd love to know what you think! And when you make this recipe, be sure to tag @simplyquinoa in your feed or on your stories!
More Delicious Tofu Recipes:
- Baked Coconut Tofu Tenders
- Crispy Tofu Tacos with Vegan Lime Crema
- Meal Prep Chipotle Tofu Bowls
- Herb Crusted Baked Tofu
- Kimchi Tofu Scramble
Crispy Baked Tofu
- 1 (14oz) block extra firm tofu
- Cooking spray
- Salt & pepper
- Start by pressing the tofu. Drain the water from the package. Place a paper towel on a plate, then place the towel on top of the paper towel. Put another layer of paper towel on top of the tofu, then place something heavy on top of the tofu. I like to do a few cookbooks or my tea kettle. Let sit for at least 15 minutes, longer if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Remove the tofu from your press and cut the block into cubes. I usually do about 1" cubes.
- Place the cubes in a bowl. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the cubes onto the baking sheet. Make sure each cube is laying flat and has space on all four sides.
- Bake on the center rack for 20 minutes. Flip the tofu and bake for another 15 - 20 minutes until the tofu is crispy.*
- Serve immediately with your favorite dish.