Barbecue Grilled Pineapple & Tofu Kebabs
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These barbecue grilled pineapple and tofu kebabs are the perfect summer meal! Easy, healthy and light, yet still super satisfying. Great for the weeknight!
Okay, so remember that vegan barbecue sauce I shared with you last week?
Well, today we're using it and we're making some amazing vegan skewers! We're loading these kebabs up with veggies, tofu and pineapple. Kind of like a cross between Hawaiian pizza meets bbq tofu, meets fajitas. Strange combo? Not in the slightest ????
You guys have been asking for grilled recipes and since I don't personally own a grill at home, I made sure to test out some recipes while I was visiting my parents in Vermont a few weeks ago.
Now, I'm no grill expert, but I have to say these grilled pineapple & tofu kebabs came out pretty dang delicious if you ask me! They're perfectly charred, they have that lovely flavor combo of sweet and savory and they couldn't be easier to make.
Tips for Vegan Grilling
While traditionally you might think of grilling meat, grilling vegan food is actually so simple. And guess what? It's way faster to cook too!
They grill up in about 6 – 8 minutes and still leave you with a nutritionally balanced meal.
Something things to keep in mind when you're grilling veggies & tofu:
- Things can stick! Think about greasing your grill if possible.
- Cut things into larger pieces. Tofu & pineapple start to get soft as they cook, so you want to be sure you have enough substance there to hold onto the skewer.
- Metal is best. I personally like metal skewers – we use these.
How to Make Perfect Kebabs
The first thing we need to do is cut up our veggies! Like I just shared, make sure you're cutting them to be at least 1″ cubes/bite-sized pieces. Since it's summer and all, for these tofu kebabs we're using a rainbow of veggies. We've got…
- red peppers
- orange peppers
- green peppers
- red onions (purple)
How pretty do they all look together?!
Next, let's talk tofu!
When you're cooking tofu on the grill, you want to make sure that you buy extra firm kind (or even firmer if they have it) and then press it. Pressing the tofu releases even more water makes it a bit stiffer and really helps it hold its shape as it grills. (you also want to do this when you bake tofu)
How to Press Tofu:
- Line a plate with a layer of paper towels
- Place tofu on top of the paper towels
- Add another layer of paper towels on top of the tofu
- Then another plate
- Place something heavy (cookbooks, tea kettle, etc.) onto the plate and let it sit
And finally, our sauce!
Our vegan barbecue sauce only takes 15 minutes to make and is something you'll be using all summer long. Not too sweet, it pairs so well with the pineapple and caramelizes as it cooks on the grill.
What I love most about this sauce though is that not overpowering with the flavor. You know how some barbecue sauces just totally take over with smokiness and sweetness? This one adds just the right amount of kick, a little bit of smoke, and glazes each piece of the skewer perfectly.
Now for serving, I think these are great on their own, but you can also cook up some quinoa and put them on top along with a touch more barbecue sauce.
OR you can make it a whole summer meal! Here's what we did:
It was incredible! Light, flavorful, not too filling, but still everyone (i.e. me and my parents) left the meal feeling completely satisfied!
Barbecue Grilled Pineapple & Tofu Kebabs
- Start by pressing the tofu for about 15 minutes. Place the tofu on a paper towel-lined plate, cover the tofu with another paper towel and put something heavy on top of it (a cookbook works well). Set aside.
- While the tofu is pressing, cut the pineapple, peppers and onions into 1" pieces, and remove the stems from the mushrooms.
- Once the tofu is done, cut that into 1" pieces as well.
- Skewers the pineapple, tofu and veggies onto metal skewers and place the skewers on a baking sheet.
- Cover the skewers with a layer of sauce on all sides.
- Turn the grill on medium heat and grill the skewers for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. After you've flipped, brush with another layer of sauce.
- Remove the skewers from the grill and brush with any remaining sauce. Sprinkle with a garnish of fresh parsley and serve immediately.
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!