These banana buckwheat quinoa pancakes are the perfect way to start your day! Made from whole grains and with fiber and protein, they'll fill you up and keep you fueled all day long.
Pancakes have always been one of my favorite breakfast foods. It goes back to weekends when I was a kid and my dad would make up blueberry pancakes every Saturday morning. Always delicious, always drenched in maple syrup. (bc let's be honest how else do you enjoy pancakes?!)
As I've gotten older, I've tried to recreate that tradition as much as possible. Of course, it's not always feasible, but pancakes still reign supreme in my breakfast book.
Over the years of blogging, I've created tons of different pancake recipes. I have my go-to Fluffy Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes, my heart Oatmeal Quinoa Pancakes and of course the Chocolate Quinoa Pancakes, but I've been lacking in the buckwheat department.
Buckwheat pancakes have this kind of rustic, out in the woods, log cabiny feel to them. They're hearty and filling, and have a nice balance of earthiness and nuttiness. I personally adore the flavor, but for some, I think the color can be a bit off-putting. Depending on the flour you buy, they can have a dark, rich brown hue to them, which almost makes them look overly healthy.
But don't let that scare you off. If you haven't tried them yet, you're going to fall in love.
There are recipes out there for 100% buckwheat pancakes, but that can be a bit much for me, so I like to incorporate quinoa flakes and tapioca starch to lighten them up. It helps make them extra fluffy too.
And for even more flavor, I stirred in some mashed banana. But more than just flavor, the banana also helps you reduce the oil and sugar content of the recipe. Win!
Even if you're the traditional blueberry pancake lover at heart (<– hi, that's me), these pancakes are a must-try. They're a great way to change things up!
So go cozy up with your pumpkin spice matcha latte, the newspaper and a big ol' stack of these buckwheat quinoa pancakes. Your weekend will be off to the best start ever!
More Pancake Recipes to Try:
- Vegan Apple Cider Pancakes
- Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Healthy Zucchini Pancakes with Quinoa Flour
- The BEST Quinoa Flour Pancakes
Banana Buckwheat Quinoa Pancakes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk plus more as needed
- 1 flax egg or regular egg
- 1/4 cup mashed banana about 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry and mix to combine. If the batter seems to thick, add a splash more milk.
- Heat a non-stick pan or grilled over medium-low heat. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan and cook until bubbles begin to form on the top, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook another 1 minute or so.
- Serve immediately with sliced banana and warm maple syrup.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.