Grain-Free Coconut Granola
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
This grain-free coconut granola is the ultimate breakfast treat! It's crunchy, sweet and made with all-natural, healthy ingredients. Paleo + vegan too!
Granola is one of those things that I could eat pretty much any time of day. It's easy to take on the go, stores well and is totally customizable to whatever ingredients you like best. My go-to is usually my vegan coconut oil granola, but I tend to not discriminate when it comes to granola.
Nearly 99% of the time, granola recipes start with a base of oats and then build from there. They provide a nice texture and are fairly bland in the taste department so they're not overpowering when you start to add in your ingredients. But for some, oats can be hard to digest and can cause some discomfort.
So I created a simple recipe that not only doesn't have oats, it doesn't have any grains at all! This grain-free coconut granola is crunchy, sweet, and toasted to perfection.
In place of the oats, base for the granola is flaked coconut, which gives us that same flakey texture. Then we add in the rest of our ingredients: chopped almonds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed meal, a few spices and dates.
And guess where you can get almost all the ingredients for this tasty grain-free granola? From my friends at Bob's Red Mill!
By now you know how much I adore this company, so I'm really excited to be partnering with them today on this recipe. They have hundreds of products to choose from which is perfect for any granola-lover out there.
Because granola can be made a bajillion different ways, you can just cruise through the different sections of their products (especially the seeds section!) and choose what ingredients sound best to you. Not feeling almonds? What about sunflower seeds! No flax? Substitute their hemp protein powder. Seriously the options are endless!
To sweeten this granola, I kept it true to my roots and stuck with pure Vermont maple syrup.
This is by far my favorite sweetener, not just for taste and flavor, but also because it brings a gorgeous caramel color and can often be found produced by small, local farms.
Once you've got everything mixed together, you just pop this into the oven for about 30 minutes and out comes a crispy, toasted batch of perfect grain-free granola.
One of my favorite features of this granola is definitely the pieces of dates. I'm a sucker for medjool dates and I love how they get after they've been baked: crispy on the outside, but still a little soft and chewy on the side.
And when you get a piece in your yogurt, it's like you've hit the jackpot.
But there's also a ton of healthy ingredients tucked inside this granola. We've got…
healthy fats from the coconut, almonds and seeds
omega-3s from the flaxseed meal
plant-based protein from the hemp seeds
iron from the dates
trace minerals from the sea salt
and tons of vitamins!
I'd have to say this might just be the ultimate adding to your morning routine!
So whether you like to enjoy granola on its own, on top of granola (or a smoothie bowl), as a pre- or post-workout snack or even an after-dinner sweet treat, this grain-free coconut granola is a must-try. You're going to love the textures and flavors, and I promise, you'll never miss the oats!
What are you favorite granola add-ins? Let me know in the comments section and I'll add them to my next batch! And if you end up making this recipe, don't forget to share a picture and tag @simplyquinoa or use #simplyquinoa so I can find your picture and give it some love!
More Healthy Granola Recipes To Try!
- Honey Blueberry Quinoa Granola
- Maple, Cinnamon & Apple Quinoa Granola
- Clustery & Oil-Free Banana Bread Granola
- Maca Maple Quinoa Granola
- Peanut Butter-Banana Quinoa Granola
Grain-Free Coconut Granola
This grain-free coconut granola is the ultimate breakfast treat! It's crunchy, sweet and made with all natural, healthy ingredients. Paleo + vegan too!
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add 1 cup coconut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax, spices and salt to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Remove the pits from the dates and cut them into small pieces. Add them to the bowl, and using your hands, distribute the dates throughout the mixture. You want to separate all the large chunks so only the small pieces remain.
- Melt the coconut oil and syrup together in a small saucepan (or in the microwave). Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer this mixture to the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 so as not to burn the granola.
- Allow the granola to cool completely, then stir in the remaining 1/2 cup coconut flakes and hemp seeds.
- Store in an airtight container (preferably glass) in a cool dark place or in the refrigerator.
This post was sponsored by my friends at Bob's Red Mill, but all opinions about the products are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that support Simply Quinoa!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!