Curried Chickpea & Carrot Burgers
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These healthy chickpea carrot burgers are super simple to make and jam-packed with tons of spices! They're baked, have a great texture and aren't mushy!
It's been a hot minute since I made a veggie burger and I'm super excited about these ones! We're going a bit out of standard veggie burger flavors and making some curried chickpea carrot burgers!
These are crazy simple to make – just need a food processor – they use just 10 ingredients and are ready in about 45 minutes (most of which is hands-off time). They also have an amazing texture. We're talking crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and definitely not mushy.
I don't know about you, but most veggie burger recipes I try end up in straight mush. Or you know…like squeeze out the sides of the bun when you bite into them? Yeah, not my jam.
How to Get Veggie Burgers to Stick Together
I think one of the biggest problems with veggie burgers is that they don't stick together. As I said, they get super mushy, but they can also be crumbly and just generally have a fairly unpleasant texture.
These carrot burgers, on the other hand, do not. They're firm, they don't squish together when you bite into them with a bun and they have a really great texture. My secret? A blend of oats, flaxseed meal, and a flax egg.
When you add those in, the oats and flaxseed meal help to hold it together, while the flax egg binds it together.
A few other ways to get veggie burgers to stick together:
- Bake your veggie burgers vs. sauteeing them: the reason for this is that they get more cooked on the inside, they dry out a little and tend to stay a bit more firm. You can totally saute these though, but they might be a little mushy.
- Chill/freeze them first: this also helps solidify them before you bake them up!
Making Veggie Burgers Taste Good
Here's the thing about veggie burgers: they can really be flavored any which way you like! Since they're typically a base of beans and vegetables, the spices are ones you can have fun with.
I have a fully stocked spice cabinet – check out my list of 10 essential spices – and I like to change up the flavors every single time. Just like with all cooking, the best way to easily amp up the flavor is with your spices. And don't be afraid to have a heavy hand. Taste as you go and add more as needed (the longer your spices sit in the cabinet, the less potent they become).
Today's carrot burgers are going in the Indian direction with three of my favorite spices: curry powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. So simple, but absolutely DELICIOUS!
How to Serve Your Carrot Burgers
Once you've got your burgers done, it's all about the toppings. Don't you think?
Since these are curry flavored, I love doing things that you would normally find in Indian cooking. I started with a layer of yogurt on the bottom (great cooling effect with the spice), then some lettuce for brightness, some tomato for a little sweetness and some onion for a bit more kick. Then I topped it with some mustard, but I actually think this turmeric sauce would be incredible!
And if you're curious… these burgers can totally be made ahead and frozen! I would recommend cooking the whole batch and freezing the cooked ones so you can just pull them out and reheat them when you're ready. They're absolutely scrumptious and I know you're going to LOVE them!
Other Awesome Veggie Burger Recipes:
- Tex Mex Quinoa Burgers
- Beet & Quinoa Veggie Burgers
- Butternut Squash & Lentil Patties
- Vegan Quinoa Burgers
- Baked Quinoa Falafel
Curried Chickpea & Carrot Burgers
- Blitz the carrots, shallots and garlic in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to form a dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and shape them into patties. Place the burgers on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Add the burgers to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve immediately (or freeze for later) with your favorite toppings!
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!