Instant Pot Coconut Rice
This Instant Pot coconut rice recipe is equal parts easy and delicious. It’s a fun and simple way to take your rice to the next level, and only requires a few ingredients.
I’m a big fan of white rice. But even I can admit that it gets a little boring having plain white rice day in and day out. So I love to mix it up with some seasonings. And this rich Instant Pot coconut rice is one of my favorite ways to make rice.
The rice has both shredded coconut and coconut milk, so it’s bursting with coconut flavor. A little coconut sugar balances out the recipe, and makes the rice super smooth. It’s the perfect accompaniment to almost any Asian dish, and since it’s made in the Instant Pot, it only takes 25 minutes from start to finish. If you’re looking for a way to make your rice even better, this is the recipe for you.
What You’ll Need
This Instant Pot coconut rice recipe only uses five ingredients, so it’s super simple. Make sure to scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the article to see the exact amounts of each ingredient.
- White rice – Long grain rice is best for this recipe.
- Shredded coconut – Make sure to use unsweetened and untoasted coconut.
- Coconut milk – For best results, use full-fat coconut milk, which will make the rice extra rich.
- Coconut sugar – You can also use granulated sugar if you prefer.
- Kosher salt
How to Make Instant Pot Coconut Rice
Here’s how to make this quick and easy rice dish.
- Mix the ingredients. Place the rice, shredded coconut, coconut milk, sugar, salt, and some water in the Instant Pot, and stir to combine.
- Cook. Turn the Instant Pot on to high pressure, with a 3-minute cook time. When the Instant Pot finishes cooking, turn it off.
- Release the pressure. Let the rice sit for 7 minutes, then use the quick pressure release until all of the pressure has been released.
- Fluff. Carefully remove the Instant Pot lid, and fluff the rice.
- Serve. Garnish the rice with extra shredded coconut if you’d like, and serve hot or warm.
Tips for Success
Here are some of my favorite tricks and tips for making this recipe.
- Fluff carefully. Once the rice is done cooking, you want to fluff it. It’s important to do this carefully, whether you’re using a fork, spoon, or rice paddle. The point of fluffing your rice is to aerate it, so make sure that you’re not squishing it at all, or you’ll end up with a dense, gummy hunk of rice.
- Adjust the seasoning. After you’ve fluffed the rice, taste it and add more salt if necessary. Everyone likes their rice seasoned differently.
- Add toppings. In addition to shredded coconut, I love to top this rice with sliced scallions. You can also top it with fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, sesame seeds, togarashi, nori, rice vinegar, or any other ingredients that you like.
- Adjust the recipe to your liking. The first time you make this recipe, follow it just as it is. But the second time? Feel free to adjust it based on what you like. Depending on how you like your rice, you might think it needs more or less sugar, or more or less coconut. Feel free to make this recipe your own.
What to Serve it With
I think this Instant Pot coconut rice recipe goes well with pretty much any Asian meal, either as a side dish or replacing the rice in a recipe. Here are some of my favorite foods to eat with coconut rice.
- Easy vegan green curry
- Gluten-free Asian turkey meatballs
- Spicy kimchi quinoa bowls
- Quinoa summer rolls with Thai peanut sauce
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
This coconut rice will last in the fridge for up to 4 days, as long as you store it in an airtight container. However, it will get a little more dry with every day that it sits. Reheat over low heat while stirring constantly until heated throughout, or in a microwave on 80% power in 15-second increments.
Can You Freeze Instant Pot Coconut Rice?
Yes! You can store this rice in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Defrost or thaw completely before reheating.
More Great Rice Recipes
Here are a few of my other favorite recipes that use rice.
- Vegan mushroom risotto
- Instant Pot vegan wild rice soup
- Creamy coconut and turmeric wild rice soup
Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (plus more for garnish)
- 1 14- ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- Combine the rice, coconut, coconut milk, sugar, salt, and ½ cup water in the pressure cooking pot. Stir well.
- Lock the lid in place. Select high pressure and a 3-minute cook time. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and let the pressure release naturally for 7 minutes. Then finish with a quick pressure release.
- When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork and garnish with additional coconut if you like.
share what you make
Tag #simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations! We love sharing what you make with the community. We can’t wait to see!