These healthy chocolate quinoa cookies are no-bake, gluten-free and vegan. Think you've got to sacrifice on flavor? Not with these!
No-bake cookies. One of the best inventions ever. Especially for someone who has no desire to turn on the oven (????this girl) Hooray for one-bowl treats!
This is my life right now. I have pretty much zero desire to step foot near my oven. Partly because it’s a bajillion degrees out and warm desserts? Meh. And partly because my tiny oven, in my tiny apartment, heats up the entire space in seconds and by the time I’m done making a batch of cookies? Sweaty mess. Hi, I'll just be over here standing in front of the air conditioning. (which clearly does not help)
So no-bake cookies? Happening.
I saw this recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod on Pinterest and I knew I had to recreate them with a quinoa version. I was not only digging the no-bake awesomeness, but that chocolate + sea salt…yes please.
I didn’t make too many tweaks to her original recipe, just swapped out the oats for some cooked quinoa and quinoa flakes, and changed the almonds to coconut flakes.
And yes, that sprinkle of sea salt is pure perfection.
(ahem, don't mind the chipped nail polish????… need a mani ????)
One of the things I really love about these cookies is that you store them in the freezer. Since they’re not baked (duh), they don’t really hold up well at room temp, so keeping them in the freezer not only helps them keep their shape, but the texture is amazing.
You guys, it reminds me of little pieces of chocolate fudge, but with a softer, gooier, cookie-like feel. The chocolate and coconut flavors both come through, along with a hint of almond, and since there’s only a little bit of sweetener, they’re ultra dark and decadent.
Yep, these are going to be a standard dessert item from now on.
And making these cookies couldn’t be easier. You just need a small saucepan, a baking sheet, and a cookie scoop. Stir everything together in the pot, drop it onto your sheet and pop them in the freezer to chill. Simple as that.
So turn off the oven friends and let’s get no-baking!
PS: if you make this recipe (or any others!) make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using hashtag #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your creations!
More No-Bake Recipes To Try:
- Vegan Snickerdoodle Energy Bites
- Almond & Coconut Quinoa Granola Bars
- No-Bake Snickers Banana Bites
- Mini Raspberry No-Bake Cheesecake
- No-Bake Raspberry Quinoa Cookies
No-Bake Chocolate Quinoa Cookies
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan over medium, melt together coconut oil, syrup and cocoa powder. Whisk until combined. Add the almond butter and stir again until smooth.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and fold in the quinoa, quinoa flakes and coconut flakes.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, shaping slightly with your hands if desired. Sprinkle with sea salt and place in the freezer to set for about 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer for best results, but can also be stored in the fridge (they'll just be a lot softer!).