These healthy Double Chocolate Muffins are vegan, gluten-free and made with a secret ingredient that makes them full of fiber and naturally sweet!
Chocolate for breakfast is good. But double chocolate? Now we're talking!
I've always been a muffin-for-breakfast kinda girl. It used to be about those giant bakery-style muffins with ultra-sugary crumb toppings, but I've come to realize you don't need all that butter and sugar to have a fluffy, tender, perfectly sweet muffin.
You can satisfy those cravings with pure, wholesome ingredients. And friends, that's exactly what we're doing today!
If you've made any of my other muffin recipes, like the Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins or Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, then you might be able to guess what my favorite base flour is. OAT FLOUR. Gluten-free oat four to be exact!
I love using gluten-free oat flour in muffins because I find it adds a chewy, soft texture and helps keep the muffins super moist and spongy. But it's also heart-healthy, wheat-free and full of fiber!
But gluten-free oat flour isn't the only secret to perfect chocolate muffins…
We're also adding sweet potato AND avocado! Yes, it sounds crazy and yes, I think you're just gonna have to trust me on this one.
You see, both the sweet potato and the avocado play key roles in our double chocolate muffins. The sweet potato helps add moisture, sweetness and even more fiber, while the avocado adds a dense, fudge-like texture, even more fiber and pairs perfectly with the chocolate.
And speaking of chocolate…
Avocado and chocolate actually happen to be a perfect pair. I've used it multiple times on the blog before, but never in your breakfast. But hey, there's a first time for everything, right?!
Since these are DOUBLE chocolate muffins and all, how can we not talk about what makes them doubly amazing? We're talking Enjoy Life Foods mini chips!
I've been a LONG-TIME fan of Enjoy Life Foods (<– they're the only chocolate chips I ever buy), so I am pumped to be partnering with them today. Not only do they make the best chocolate chips on the market in my humble opinion, all of their baking chocolate also happens to be allergy-friendly AND delicious.
So all you allergy-free bakers who struggle to find chocolate chips (or chunks) made without dairy, nuts, soy, wheat, gluten (and the other top 3 allergens), Enjoy Life Foods has got you covered. From their mini chips to their dark chocolate morsels and mega chocolate chunks, there's a chocolate for all your baking needs.
And guess what else? Their chocolate is oh-so melty!
Which means…when you bite into one of these warm muffins, that chocolate is going to be sweet, gooey and utterly perfect!
It's time to say “so long” to those sugar-filled muffins of our past and welcome the new era of muffin. Healthy, wholesome, allergy-friendly and freakin' delicious!
So go ahead and whip up a batch of these decadent chocolate muffins. Your kids will love them, your friends will love them, your coworkers will love them and your waistline will love them too ❤️
I can't wait to see you try this recipe and am excited to hear what you think. Bonus points if you make a double batch and freeze the extras so you can have a healthy breakfast (/snack/dessert) any day or night!
More Delicious Muffin Recipes to Try:
- Blackberry Lime Quinoa Muffins
- Skinny Raspberry Chocolate Chip Quinoa Muffins
- Carrot Cake Blender Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins with Raspberry Swirls
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Quinoa Muffins
- Healthy Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Gluten-Free Banana Bread Muffins
- Chai Spiced Oat & Quinoa Flour Muffins
Secret Ingredient Vegan Double Chocolate Muffins
- 3/4 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado about 1/2
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk I used hemp
- 1 cup oat flour made from gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sweet potato, avocado, syrup, flaxseed meal, water and non-dairy milk. Beat until smooth. Set aside and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Once rested, add in flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. If the batter feels dry, add more milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the batter resembles a thick pancake batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon muffin mixture into prepared pan, filling each cup ¾ of the way full.
- Bake on center rack for 18 - 19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- I enjoyed these muffins slightly warm, so reheat if desired, or enjoy them as is!
This recipe is brought to you in partnership with Enjoy Life Foods. As always, all opinions are my own. I only share companies I love and trust, so thank you for continuing to support Simply Quinoa!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.