Green smoothies are the best. They’re my go-to healthy breakfast. After a weekend of drinking with friends, snacking on gluten-free goodies, all while testing recipes and baking more than is necessary, a green smoothie is all my body craves.
I’m all about creaminess with my smoothies. I like thick smoothies that I can slurp through a straw. Smoothies that are almost like a thin custard, rather than a watery juice. For some reason they are just more satisfying that way.
My smoothies always start with a similar base – a combo that I really love:
- Almond milk
- Banana / Avocado (for creaminess)
- Frozen fruit
- Spinach / Kale
- Seeds (flax and chia always)
- Protein Powder
But lately, I’ve started experimenting with different spices too. With cinnamon and nutmeg as my preferred combo, it was time I started to branch out a little (especially with fall being right around the corner and this combo is in everything!).
I started slow, with ginger, cocoa and vanilla, but have slowly been moving in a riskier direction. Now I’m using things like basil, mint and almond extract, and you know what? It’s delicious!
This green smoothie was inspired by my CSA basket last week. We got a perfectly ripe cantaloupe, a crunchy English cucumber and some lacinato kale. Into the blender it all went, with a hint of peppermint extract, and the result was geniously green. It was light, refreshing, but still filling and super healthy. A new favorite in our house!
|Minty Melon Smoothie||
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup english cucumber
- 1 cup frozen cantaloupe
- 1/2 (or whole) banana
- 2 cups kale (or spinach)
- 1 scoop <strong><a href=”http://www.sunwarrior.com/what_is_protein/” target=”_blank” data-mce-href=”http://www.sunwarrior.com/what_is_protein/”>vanilla protein powder</a></strong> (I am obsessed with Sun Warrior)
- 1 tablespoon golden flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 – 6 ice cubes
- Spash of water (as needed for desired consistency)
- Add contents in a blender in the order of the recipe and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with mint and serve immediately.
gluten-free | dairy-free | sugar-free | vegan