A quick and easy breakfast quinoa that's flavored with chai, filled with protein and takes just 5 minutes to make. With 16g of plant-based protein in each bowl, this recipe will quickly become morning your go-to!
One of the most common myths about following a plant-based diet is that you aren't going to get enough protein. And when it comes to breakfast, it's assumed that unless you're using a protein powder, you just aren't going to get what you need.
Well, I'm here to prove that theory wrong! Because now you have a recipe that is high-protein and doesn't use any strange powders. Just pure, whole food ingredients that are nourishing and filling.
What better way than to start your day than a bowl of this protein-packed breakfast quinoa? It's quick and easy to make (can be ready in under 5 minutes!), can be meal prepped and each serving contains 16g of plant-based protein!
My Inspiration for this Breakfast Quinoa
A few weeks ago I was out in LA visiting a friend – Megan from Curry Girl's Kitchen – and she made me this amazing breakfast quinoa that used leftover cooked quinoa. We even filmed a video which I'll be sharing soon, but I loved it so much that I had to recreate my own version.
Essentially, all we're doing is reheat out cooked quinoa with some almond milk, but I wanted to kick it up a notch in the flavor department, so instead of just heating the almond milk, we're adding two chai tea bags to enhance the flavor. We steep the tea for about 3 – 4 minutes in the milk, then add the rest of our ingredients, give it a quick stir and serve it up.
An Easy Meal Prep Breakfast Recipe
I know how much you all love our meal prep series, and this breakfast quinoa is 100% meal prep friendly! You can make a big batch on a Sunday and this will last you all week long.
Best of all? Change up the topping each day and it will feel like a completely new recipe!
Here are some of my favorite topping ideas:
- Almond butter, blueberries, and seeds (what we've got here!)
- Peanut butter, banana, and cacao nibs
- Coconut yogurt, sliced strawberries, and chia seeds
- Cashew butter and stewed peaches
To store it, just make a quadruple batch of the quinoa, divide it into jars and top with your desired toppings. Seal the jars completely, then reheat when you get to the office (or enjoy it cold like overnight oats).
A Tasty High-Protein Vegan Breakfast
Now I mentioned that we're able to pack in the protein with this bowl, but I wanted to break down where that protein is actually coming from:
- chia seeds
- our toppings (almond butter + seeds)
That's right! Those simple ingredients combined together create this incredible quinoa breakfast bowl that's literally LOADED with protein – 16g per serving to be precise!
Want some other ideas for amping up the protein content? Check out my list of the best sources of plant-based protein!
More Easy Quinoa Breakfast Recipes:
- Caramelized Butternut Squash Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- Healthy Hot Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Apple Pie Overnight Quinoa
- Quinoa Power Breakfast Bowls
Chai Breakfast Quinoa
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons blueberry jam
- 2 tablespoons seed mix
- Add the almond milk and tea bags into a small saucepan. Warm the milk and allow the tea to steep for 4 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags, press out any extra tea, and add the remaining breakfast quinoa ingredients. Stir until quinoa has warmed, about 1 minute, and transfer to two bowls.
- Top with half the toppings indicated above, or your favorite toppings of choice.