These Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Burgers are the ultimate veggie burger to serve at your next cookout. They're quick, healthy and so easy!
Today we’re having burgers, but not just any burgers, smoky-sweet potato, and black bean quinoa burgers.
Sweet potatoes and black beans are a classic combination – remember my recent quinoa bowl recipe? – and they’re the perfect match for these burgers.
And with the fresh red onions and Mexican spices are thrown into the mix? It screams summer.
When making these quinoa burgers, I wanted to keep them as true to their roots as possible, meaning I didn’t want to have to add a bunch of fillers to help them stick together. So rather than boiling and mashing the potatoes, I grated them and added them uncooked into the mixture (thanks Angela for the tip!). Grating the potatoes help reduce the amount of the dry ingredients you need, so we only ended up using ½ cup of oats and ½ cup of quinoa.
These burgers also don’t use eggs to bind them together. They’re 100% vegan and you’d never be able to tell the difference!
Oh and one final thing I adore about this recipe? Everything is made with the food processor. That means minimal prep and minimal cleanup. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- 1 sweet potato (small, 2 cups shredded)
- 15 ounces black beans (rinsed + drained)
- 1/2 cup oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped onion (roughly)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- burger buns
- Add oats to the bowl of a food processor. Process on high until the oats are ground into a coarse flour consistency, about 30-60 seconds. Transfer the oats to a mixing bowl and wipe out the bowl of the Food Processor, returning it to the base.
- Peel the small sweet potato and slice it into quarters lengthwise. Using the shredding disk, feed the pieces of sweet potato through the opening in the lid, pushing them down using the food pusher.
- Measure 2 cups of the shredded sweet potatoes and add them to the bowl with the oats. Wipe out the Food Processor bowl again and place it back on the base.
- Whisk together the flaxseed meal and water and set this aside to thicken.
- Add black beans, onion, garlic, and the lime zest and juice to the Food Processor. Pulse until the mixture comes together, with a few larger chunks still remaining and transfer it to the mixing bowl. To the mixing bowl, add quinoa and the flaxseed gel and stir to combine.
- Season this mixture with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper.
- Shape the mixture into equal-sized burgers and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Chill the burgers in the fridge for at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
- For cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the burgers on the middle rack for 20 minutes. Remove and flip them overcooking for another 15-20 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes to let the burgers set.
- Serve with guacamole, tomatoes, sprouts and buns!