This broccoli cauliflower salad is healthy and refreshing, but also wonderfully rich. It’s easy to make, only takes 15 minutes, and goes with almost any meal.
One of my favorite foods to eat is a well-balanced salad. I love all salads, but I especially love the salads that have a little bit of everything in them. That’s exactly what this broccoli cauliflower salad is. It’s fresh and healthy, with loads of vegetables, but also rich, with bacon and an avocado mayonnaise dressing. It’s got hints of sweetness from honey and dried cranberries, but earthy, nutty flavors from walnuts and sunflower seeds. The dressing has a bite from Dijon mustard but is also creamy. It’s just an exceptionally well-balanced salad.
It’s also an easy and healthy recipe to make. This salad only takes 15 minutes to pull together, but it’s really good for you. Whether you’re eating it as a side dish or as its own meal, this is a salad that I know you’ll love.
What You’ll Need
Here are all the ingredients that you need to make this bacon and veggie salad. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Broccoli florets
- Cauliflower florets
- Red onion – You can also use a white onion or a shallot.
- Sunflower seeds – Make sure to use unsalted sunflower seeds.
- Dried cranberries
- Mayonnaise – I like avocado oil-based ones.
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- Black pepper – Use freshly-cracked black pepper.
How to Make Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
Here’s how to make this amazing and refreshing salad in just 15 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients. Place the broccoli, cauliflower, onion, sunflower seeds, walnuts, dried cranberries, and bacon in a mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- Make the dressing. Put the avocado mayonnaise, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in a bowl, and mix.
- Assemble. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to combine. Make sure the broccoli and cauliflower are well coated, and then you’re done!
Tips for Success
Here are a few tricks and tips to use when making this salad.
- Make consistent cuts. Try to cut all of your broccoli and cauliflower pieces into similar sizes. That will make the salad look better, but it will also ensure that each vegetable has the same amount of dressing on it.
- Chill the salad. You can serve this broccoli and cauliflower salad as soon as you’re done making it. However, I think it’s even better if you let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour. This gives the flavors lots of time to meld together, and the salad will have a stronger taste.
- Get creative. Feel free to play with this recipe as much as you want. You can use different types of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, and you can add other fresh ingredients, like herbs or berries. Don’t feel like you have to stick to the recipe exactly.
What to Serve It With
I’ll be honest, sometimes I snack on this salad all by itself as a meal. But I think it’s best when served as a side dish while eating a hearty entree. Here are a few recipes that I like to eat with this crunchy salad.
- Vegan Meatloaf
- Cinnamon & Pecan Crusted Salmon
- Herb Crusted Baked Tofu
- Quinoa Stuffed Eggplant with Tahini Sauce
- Slow Cooker Vegan Sloppy Joes
How to Store Leftovers
This salad will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container, or cover it in plastic wrap. If the salad gets too watery, just pour off some of the liquid from the bottom.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
I do not recommend freezing this broccoli cauliflower salad. The texture of the vegetables will be a little funky if you freeze the salad and then thaw it.
More Easy and Healthy Salads
I’m always making salads, and I’m always eating salads. Here are a few more of my favorite healthy salad recipes.
- Watermelon Mint Quinoa Salad
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Herbed Spring Quinoa Salad
- Pear and Arugula Salad
- Vegan Cobb Salad
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- 1/3 pound broccoli florets , chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 pound cauliflower florets , chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ medium red onion , chopped
- ½ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup walnuts , chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 8 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I like avocado oil mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the broccoli, cauliflower, red onions, toasted sunflower seeds, walnuts, dried cranberries, and bacon
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey, sea salt, and ground black pepper.
- Add the avocado mayonnaise mixture to the broccoli and cauliflower mixture and toss to coat.
- For best results, make the salad ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.