This refreshing Strawberry Quinoa Salad with feta, mint, and a lime-honey dressing is an ideal gluten-free side dish for summer parties. It also stores well and can be brought on a picnic or to the beach!
Who doesn't LOVE strawberry season? As soon as those sweet red berries come up at the farmer's market, I'm eating as many as I can. That means Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal for breakfast. Gluten-Free Vegan Strawberry Shortcake for dessert (on repeat), and Chocolate Strawberry Smoothies whenever a chocolate craving strikes.
This healthy quinoa salad is my go-to side dish. It also doubles as a filling lunch, thanks to all of the plant-based protein and fiber from quinoa. It's naturally vegetarian and gluten-free, so it also makes a great side dish for cookouts and parties.
How to Make Strawberry Quinoa Salad
If you have some cooked, cooled quinoa in the fridge, you've done all the cooking you need to make this summery salad.
Here are the other ingredients you'll need:
- Strawberries. Choose local, if you can! Slice the strawberries into bite-sized pieces so they mix evenly into the salad.
- Avocado. This adds a creamy note to balance out the sweetness from berries.
- Mint. I love this bright, bitey herb. If you're not a fan of mint, basil, tarragon or oregano will all work.
- Feta cheese. This is such a summery cheese to me. It's light, salty and adds its own briny flavor to the recipe.
Make the sweet and citrusy dressing for your quinoa salad with:
- Olive oil. Make sure you're using a flavorful oil to bring the dressing flavors together well.
- Honey. You can also use maple syrup or agave to sweeten the dressing.
- Lime. Lime is the right acidic ingredient to bring this grain salad to life.
Can I Make the Salad ahead of Time?
This salad is best served right away after tossing it together. The strawberries and avocado won't hold up well over time. However, you can make the quinoa and dressing ahead of time. Store them both covered in the fridge for up to four days.
Vegan Quinoa Salad with Strawberries
To make a dairy-free version of this salad, simply swap the feta for your favorite plant-based cheese. Or you can omit the cheese altogether and add more avocado for extra creaminess.
More Quinoa Salad Recipes
- Blueberry Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette
- Saffron Middle Eastern Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad
If you make this Strawberry Quinoa Salad, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Strawberry Quinoa Salad
for the salad:
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped strawberries (about 8)
- 1 small avocado , diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint
- 1/2 cup feta (I like Violife vegan feta)
for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey (or maple syrup)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Add the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or allow to chill in the fridge for 30 - 60 minutes.
- Optional mix-ins include: tofu, chickpeas, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp or grilled steak.