This is the best firecracker salmon recipe with sriracha, maple syrup, ginger and soy sauce, baked in the oven for an easy and delicious dinner.
Salmon is one of my favorite kinds of seafood. It's full of healthy omega-3 fats and has the best buttery, flaky texture. Plus, it's not complicated or difficult to cook salmon well. Especially if you use your oven, you can make flaky, tender and flavorful salmon in under 30 minutes.
This firecracker salmon recipe features a sticky and spicy soy-based sauce brushed on the salmon. It's a great simple dinner for entertaining or for meal prep.
What's Great About This Recipe
- It's a simple seven-ingredient dinner that always impresses
- It's sticky, sweet, savory and buttery
- Full of heart-healthy and satiating fats
- It pairs well with fresh veggie sides and grain salads
How to Make Firecracker Salmon
For the deepest firecracker flavor, marinate the salmon in the sauce for at least 30 minutes. If you don't have time, of course, you'll still get great flavor from just brushing the sauce on the fish before cooking, so no worries if you're in a pinch.
Make sure to line your baking sheet with tin foil. The sauce can get pretty sticky as it cooks, so this will save you a lot of effort on the clean-up.
I like to make this with one side of salmon, but you can easily do it with individual fillets of fish. Note that smaller pieces will take less time to cook. A general rule of thumb is to cook salmon for 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness, depending on how done you like your fish.
Ingredient Notes and Swaps
- Soy sauce. For gluten-free firecracker salmon, use tamari.
- Sriracha. You can use a different hot sauce if you prefer, just make note of the spice level.
- Olive oil. You can also use avocado oil or melted butter.
- Rice vinegar. Mirin will also work.
- Maple syrup. Other liquid sweeteners, like honey or agave, are good substitutes if you don't have maple syrup.
- Red pepper flakes. This is optional if you like an extra kick of spice in your salmon.
Can I Grill Firecracker Salmon?
Yes, if you have a grill, you can certainly make this recipe outdoors. Make sure to preheat the grill. Then cook the salmon wrapped in foil with the lid down over indirect heat for 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
Check halfway through to ensure your fish is cooking evenly, as grills tend to have hot and cold spots. Move the salmon around as necessary.
What to Serve with It
This is a fun recipe for entertaining because it makes a stunning centerpiece. If you're having a party, serve your beautiful spicy salmon with colorful side dishes like:
- Quinoa Black Bean Salad with Cilantro and Lime
- Healthy Carrot Slaw with Sesame Dressing
- Super Easy Spicy Mango Salsa
More Healthy Seafood Recipes
If you try this Firecracker Salmon recipe, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
The BEST Firecracker Salmon
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the salmon in a foil-lined baking pan.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Pour over the salmon and pop in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready bake, pop the salmon in the oven and cook for 14 - 17 minutes depending on the thickness of the filets. The salmon should easily flake when you poke it with a fork.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of fresh herbs, scallions or my spicy mango salsa!