This is hands down the BEST vegan mashed cauliflower you'll ever taste. It's creamy, buttery, and flavorful, without being watery at all. It's easy to make and absolutely delicious!
I've been working on this recipe for vegan mashed cauliflower for years. Legit years!
I first tried it a few years ago when cauliflower was becoming the “it” ingredient of the time. Cauiflower was making its way into everything and I was really here for it. I even love adding cauliflower to my smoothies!
But cauliflower mashed potatoes just never fooled me. They tasted like mashed mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. But this year I really wanted to nail it and after looking at tons of recipes for mashed potatoes, I realized what I was missing. And so this recipe was born. The absolute perfect, most delicious vegan mashed cauliflower on the planet. No joke, this recipe is BOMB!
What is Mashed Cauliflower?
First, you might be wondering what said trend that I'm referencing even is. If that's you, let me explain. Mashed cauliflower is a dish meant to mimic mashed potatoes. But instead of the potatoes, it's cauliflower instead.
It's difficult to hide the “cauliflower” nature of this recipe, but with the additions we've got in today's recipe, you can barely tell the difference!
What You Need for This Recipe
There isn't much you need for this recipe, but each element is key:
- Cauliflower: since this is meant to be for a large serving, we're using two whole heads of cauliflower for this recipe.
- Almond milk: to make it a bit cremy, we're adding almond milk, but that can be replaced with whatever type of milk you'd like. Just make sure that whatever milk you use, it's unsweetened!
- Coconut yogurt: one of the things that kept popping up when I was looking at mashed potato recipes was sour cream. I haven't found a good vegan sour cream that I like, so I always opt for coconut yogurt. If you can't find that, swap for vegan sour cream, or cashew cream and a bit of lemon juice.
- Garlic: one of the secret weapons to this dish is the sauteed garlic. It adds so much flavor!
- Fresh herbs: I also LOVE adding fresh herbs to this dish. You can have fun with this, but I like to keep it more on the hearty side. For this one I did: chives, sage, and fresh thyme.
- Vegan butter: to add a little bit of pop, we're beating in some vegan butter. It just gives it that extra decadence that mashed potatoes have, and really rounds out the recipe.
How to Make Vegan Mashed Cauliflower
This is also quite a simple recipe which I know you always appreciate. Here's how to make it:
STEP ONE: Steam
First we need to steam the cauliflower. I use a steamer basket inside a large pot and let it steam for about 5 minutes.
STEP TWO: Saute
While the cauliflower is steaming, we're going to saute the garlic in some olive oil. This really helps to elevate the flavor and is NOT a step to miss. If you add the garlic in raw, it just won't ever taste as delicious.
STEP THREE: Blend
Once the cauliflower is tender and the garlic is cooked, you'll blend it all together in a food processor until it's smooth.
From there, you're done and ready to serve!
A Tasty Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Recipe
This honestly is one of the best recipes I've ever made and I don't say that lightly. Nor am I saying it to toot my own horn. I've tested this recipe on multiple people and everyone has had the same reaction.
My mom requested it for her 60th birthday dinner and when my brother tasted it he said it was one of the best things I'd ever made.
It's definitely going to be a staple in our Thanksgiving festivities and I for one am thrilled that I can get my fam to eat more veggies without putting up a fight!
More Ways to Use Cauliflower
- Miso Roasted Vegetable Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Curried Cauliflower Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Chowder
- Buffalo Cauliflower Quinoa Casserole
- Healing Cauliflower Holiday Soup
Best Vegan Mashed Cauliflower
- Add the cauliflower to a large pot with a steamer basket. Add 2" of water and cover. Turn to high and steam the cauliflower until tender, about 5 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, saute the garlic in the oil over medium heat, until the garlic is fragrant and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the steamed cauliflower (not with the water) into a food processor. Blender on high until smooth. Add the garlic, and remaining ingredients and process again until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!