Here's a list of the 45+ recipes using tofu! We've got everything from breakfast, quinoa bowls, lunches & dinners, and even desserts. We're giving you so many delicious ideas to use up your tofu with lots of healthy vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free recipes.
Let's talk TOFU. Tofu is definitely my favorite plant-based protein since it's healthy, loaded with fiber, and low in saturated fat. It's incredibly versatile and easy to spice up – you can enjoy it grilled, baked, crispy, soft, and you can even make desserts with it! It soaks up flavor and seasonings well so it can be used in any type of dish – Asian, Indian, Mexican, you name it. I really don't know if there is a more adaptable ingredient than tofu – plus it's delicious!
Today I've rounded up over 45 delicious and healthy recipes that use tofu. We've got everything you could ever dream of: breakfast tacos, vegan quinoa sushi bowls, mason jar salads, noodle bowls, even cheesecake!
I've chosen recipes that are mostly vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free, so there's something for everyone to love here. Tofu is one of my favorite plant-based proteins, and I hope you enjoy this list as much as I do. Let me know which recipe you're most excited to try by leaving a comment below!
Is Tofu Healthy?
Tofu is super healthy and it's one of my favorite plant-based staples. One thing to keep in mind with tofu: make sure to buy 100% organic tofu. That will mean that your tofu is non-GMO.
Regular/Firm/Extra Firm Tofu – Which to Use?!
There are lots of different types of tofu: silken, firm, extra firm, super firm. All four have different uses, but for the most part, you want to go for extra firm or super firm. This type of tofu will bake up best, it will get crispy, and it will hold its texture best. Silken is often used to blend things, but firm can be used as well, it just needs to be pressed first.
How to Press/Drain Tofu
Pressing tofu is a step you'll want to take if you're looking for crispy tofu. If you don't need crispy, you don't need to bother! For pressing tofu, you can do two things:
- Use a tofu press which is a tool you can purchase with the explicit use to drain your tofu
- Place something heavy on top of your tofu (which is what I do) like books, a tea kettle, cast iron skillet, etc.
From there, you'll just let it sit for a good 20(ish) minutes, and then you're good to use it!
Tips for Cooking with Tofu
For me, the best way to cook tofu – if you want to preserve its texture – is to bake it. Once you've pressed it, you can then slice it into cubes, pat it dry, drizzle on some oil and some spices, then bake it up!
Staple Tofu Recipes
Let's start this list off with staple tofu recipes! These tofu recipes pair well with almost everything. Add them on top of salads for added protein, make the tofu the focal point of your meal with some sides like veggies or potatoes, or use them in a quinoa bowl. The possibilities are endless to use up these staple tofu recipes!
The BEST Simple Tofu Recipes:
- Herb Crusted Baked Tofu
- Crispy Baked Tofu
- Baked Coconut Tofu Tenders
- Grilled Lemon Basil Tofu (from Eating Bird Food)
- Baked Peanut Tofu (from Eating Bird Food)
- Almond Walnut Crusted Tofu (from Veggiekins)
- Vegan Tofu Pepperoni (from Minimalist Baker)
- Maple Dijon Baked Tofu (from Create Mindfully)
- Crispy Honey Sriracha Tofu (from Pickled Plum)
- Everything Bagel Tofu (from Vegan Richa)
Breakfast Recipes with Tofu
Since tofu is so versatile, you can even enjoy it right at breakfast time! If you haven't tried tofu breakfast tacos before, you need to stat. I love incorporating tofu into my breakfast recipes because not only is it super healthy, but it's also pretty filling so I stay tied over until lunchtime. Here are my favorite healthy breakfast recipes using tofu.
Healthy Tofu Breakfast Recipes:
- 5-Minute Kimchi Tofu Scramble
- Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Tacos (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Chipotle Tofu Chilaquiles (from Minimalist Baker)
- Roasted Sweet Potato & Kale Breakfast Hash (from Minimalist Baker)
- Simple Tofu Quiche (from Minimalist Baker)
- Simple Vegan Omelet (from Minimalist Baker)
- Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burrito (from Minimalist Baker)
- Tofu Pancakes (from Anna Banana)
Delicious Tofu Quinoa Bowls
This might be my favorite section because I could eat a quinoa bowl everyday and never get tired of it. Quinoa bowls make the best healthy lunch and dinner recipes, plus they're super easy to meal prep so you have a grab and go meal ready for you any day of the week. With endless toppings, sauces/dressings, and ways to season your tofu, there's a tofu quinoa bowl recipe here for everyone to love!
Healthy Quinoa Bowls:
- Chipotle Tofu Quinoa Bowls
- Sesame Tofu Quinoa Bowls
- Pesto Quinoa Salad Bowls with Grilled Tofu
- Asian Quinoa Bowls with Peanut Baked Tofu
- Teriyaki Quinoa Bowls
- Vegan Quinoa Sushi Bowls
- Rainbow Vegetable Quinoa Stir Fry
More Lunch & Dinner Recipes Using Tofu
I have to be honest – it was tricky to narrow this section down to only the best of the best! There are SO many delicious recipes using tofu for lunch and dinner, but these recipes are my absolute favorite. Tofu kebabs, lasagnas, nachos, curries – this section has it all. Get ready to start writing your grocery list, because I just know you're going to want to make some of these tofu recipes for your lunches and dinners soon!
Super Healthy Tofu Lunch & Dinner Recipes:
- Crispy Tofu Tacos with Vegan Lime Crema
- Buffalo Tofu Mason Jar Salads
- Red Curry Noodle Bowls
- Butternut Squash Vegan Lasagna
- Barbecue Pineapple Grilled Tofu Kebabs
- Easy Vegan Manicotti with Tofu Ricotta
- Fried Quinoa with Tofu
- Tofu Vegan Nachos with Cashew Cheese Sauce (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Slow Cooker Tofu Tikka Masala (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Vegan Egg Roll in A Bowl (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Vegan Macadamia Coconut Tofu Bowls (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Vegetarian Tofu Cashew Coconut Curry (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Vegan Tofu “Chicken” Salad (from Eating Bird Food)
- Tofu Sofritas Burrito Bowls (from Eating Bird Food)
- Avocado Tofu Poke Bowl (from Veggiekins)
- Vegan Tofu Chicken Noodle Soup (from Veggiekins)
- Tofu Sofritas Burrito Bowls (from Eating Bird Food)
Desserts Made with Tofu
Tofu… in dessert?! YES! I know it might sound a little funky, but since tofu on its own is relatively tasteless, it actually is the perfect way to achieve a thick, creamy texture in desserts. Here are the best ways to use tofu in your dessert recipes!
Crazy Good Tofu Dessert Recipes:
- Vegan Dark Chocolate Tofu Cheesecake with Pretzel Crust (from Ambitious Kitchen)
- Healthy High Protein Banana Pudding (from Veggiekins)
- Vegan Chocolate Pie (from Pinch of Yum)
- Strawberry Silken Tofu Pudding (from Morning Delicious)
Your Favorite Tofu Recipes?
So…what about you!? These are just some of my favorite recipes with tofu, but I'd love to hear from you. If you have any go-to ways to use tofu that we've missed here, let us know in the comments.