These impressive Salmon Tostadas start with homemade tostada shells, topped with silky cured salmon in a bright and salty dressing.
Tostadas are always a hit, but if you've only ever had them at a restaurant, I think you're going to love making your own.
These salmon tostadas are topped with slices of lime-dressed cured salmon and avocado for the perfect combination of creamy and bright. They're also easy to make with a short ingredient list and so good for a healthy and light dinner or lunch!
This post is also the final installment in our three-part series. So you'll want to check out our other two posts that will help make these awesome tostadas:
So now let's walk through the steps for making this recipe:
How to Make Salmon Tostadas
STEP ONE: Cure the salmon
The first step in making your own tostadas is to prepare the cured salmon. This takes a few hours, but it's mostly hands-off. Here's our tutorial for quick cured salmon.
STEP TWO: Make the shells
Then, when you're ready to start cooking, prepare your crispy tostada shells with tortillas. These take 10 minutes in the oven.
These can be cooled fully before you start arranging the tostada toppings, as you want the salmon to stay chilled and fresh.
STEP THREE: Crisp the shallots
Next, you'll just need to crisp up your shallots in a skillet on the stove.
STEP FOUR: Assemble!
Then to assemble, mash the avocado onto your tostada shells. Combine the salmon with your seasonings and lime juice, and pile them on top!
Once you've made your crispy tostada shells and cured salmon, you don't need many more ingredients. Here's what you need:
- Avocados for creaminess
- Avocado oil. You can also use olive oil.
- Shallots for a bit of crunch. You could also use red onion.
- Lime juice for that signature brightness and citrus flavor.
- Cilantro. If you're not a cilantro fan, you can use basil or parsley.
You can easily mix up the ingredients in your salmon topping for these tostadas. Here are some fun ways to mix up the flavors:
- Add sliced or pickled jalapeños for heat
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, chopped macadamia nuts or cashews for even more crunch
- Add lime zest for an even zippier flavor
- Use a mixture of fresh herbs
If you make these Salmon Tostadas, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
- Heat the oil in a small pan. Thinly slice the shallot and fry until golden brown. Once cooked, remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the cured salmon if you haven't done that already.
- Spread a thin layer of avocado mash on each tostada shell. Place a layer of salmon on top. Top with the fried shallots, sprinkle of sea salt and squeeze of lime juice and garnish with cilantro. If you enjoy spice, add some sliced jalapenos!