This is the best vegan creamy Mushroom Wild Rice Soup with veggies, coconut milk, garlic and plenty of herby flavors. Make a warm and easy bowl of soup for dinner tonight!
Not only do they make warm and comforting dinners, but they also store and reheat so well for lunch the next day. Plus, they're healthy and so easy to make gluten-free or vegan.
This soup for ultra-creamy mushroom wild rice soup is a total game-changer if you're looking for a satisfying and filling vegetarian meal.
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe on the stove top:
- Olive oil. You can also use butter or vegan butter to saute the veggies.
- Onions. For a great flavor base.
- Carrots. These add a touch of sweetness to the soup.
- Celery. For an earthy flavor.
- Mushrooms. You can use button mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms, cremini, or another variety if you like. Portobellos or oyster mushrooms would add a more complex flavor.
- Garlic. I prefer fresh garlic cloves, but you could also use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder in a pinch.
- Italian seasoning. Use dried herbs like basil, oregano, parsley, and marjoram if you don't have a pre-mixed seasoning blend.
- Wild rice. Did you know this is actually a kind of grass, not rice? It's full of antioxidants!
- Vegetable broth. Make your own for more flavor or use low-sodium store-bought.
- Flour. Use all-purpose flour to thicken this soup.
- Coconut milk. I recommend full-fat for the best flavor and texture, but light coconut milk will also work.
- Lemon. For brightness to finish the soup.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
You'll need a large stockpot or dutch oven to saute the veggies and cook the rice for the soup.
Then, to thicken things up, use a small skillet to make a roux. This is a combination of cooked flour and fat (in this case olive oil and coconut milk). The flour will absorb some of the liquid in the soup and the fat will enrich the flavor a ton.
Feel free to use any type of flour that works for you!
Gluten-Free Mushroom Soup
To make this soup gluten-free, simply use gluten-free all-purpose flour to make the roux.
Wild rice is naturally gluten free, but always double-check the packaging to make sure.
This soup is already dairy-free and vegan!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
For longer storage, you can keep it in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw the soup in the fridge overnight, then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave to serve.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
If you make this vegan creamy mushroom and wild rice soup, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Creamy Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 small white onion , chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3 medium carrots , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 stalks celery , chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 16 oz button mushrooms , chopped
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves , minced/crushed
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Generous pinch of salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup flour (I recommend a grain-based flour)
- 1 (14.5oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot and celery. Saute for 3 - 4 minutes tunil the onions are starting to brown and turning translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, seasoning and seaon with salt and pepper. Saute another 2 - 3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the wild rice and vegetable broth.
- Bring the mixture to a bowl, then turn down to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- With 5 minutes left in the cooking process, add the remaining olive oil into a small saucepan. Heat to medium and once hot, whisk in the flour.
- Once the flour is clumped, add the cocnut milk *slowly*, continually whisking until you have a thick "sauce" like consistency. (we're making a roux)
- When your timer for the soup goes off, stir in the coconut milk roux. Allow the mixture to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice, and additional salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately with a slice of toasty bread and some fresh herbs.