These Vegan Fajitas with Tempeh are a fast and easy veggie-packed dinner with colorful bell peppers, delicious spices and corn tortillas.
I'm all about crunchy, colorful meals. And these easy vegan fajitas check those boxes and more. They're easy to throw together and can easily feed a crowd. With a few simple ingredients, you can make this healthy one-pan vegetarian dinner tonight.
How to Make Vegan Fajitas
If you have bell peppers, tempeh and a few key spices, you can whip up this easy dinner in less than half an hour.
You can use any color bell pepper, but I love the mixture of red, yellow and green. For the seasoning, make a mixture of:
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
Low-Carb Vegan Fajitas
Looking for a grain-free low-carb version of vegetarian tempeh fajitas? Swap out the tortillas for fresh lettuce leaves.
Best Protein for Vegan Fajitas
Sure, you can make fajitas with just vegetables. But I find that the best way to make a really satisfying dish is to add a bit of vegan protein. For tacos, I love this meaty and savory Vegan Quinoa and Lentil Taco Meat. But for fajitas, you want something more toothsome.
That's why I love making vegan fajitas with tempeh. It holds its shape, like chicken or beef and soaks up all of the seasonings you add.
Plus, you can get a nice dark sear on tempeh that adds to the smoky flavor of your fajitas.
Topping Ideas for Vegetarian Fajitas
Once you have your tempeh and vegetable filling, you can top your vegan fajitas however you like.
I love these toppings:
- Vegan plain yogurt or sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Salsa (especially this Grilled Peach Salsa)
- Shredded cabbage
- Pickled or fresh jalapenos
More Vegan Taco Night Recipes
- Cilantro Lime Black Bean Tacos with Quinoa
- 5-Minute Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos
- Vegetarian Taco Mason Jar Salad
If you love this recipe for Easy Vegan Tempeh Fajitas, be sure to let me know on Instagram and to leave a rating below!
Easy Tempeh Fajitas
for the vegan fajita filling:
- 8 corn tortillas
- Sliced jalapeno
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Slice the tempeh into strips. Add to a dry skillet over medium heat and sear for 2 - 3 minutes per side.
- While the tempeh is cooking, thinly slice the red onion and peppers, and mince the garlic.
- Transfer the tempeh to a plate and return the pan to the stove. Add the oil and once hot add the onions, peppers and garlic. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Add the spices, along with salt, pepper and the tempeh strips and continue to cook until the veggies have completely softened. Add a splash or two of water to make it more “saucy”!
- To serve, gently warm the tortillas and fill with the fajita filling. Top with sliced jalapeno, fresh cilantro and a spritz of lime if desired. Dig in and enjoy!