Vegan lasagna roll ups with tofu ricotta, fresh spinach, tomato sauce and melty shredded cheese are an easy meat-free Italian dinner recipe.
When it comes to noodles, there's pretty much nothing they can't do. Whether you're whipping up an amazing one pot pasta or you're craving something like vegan baked mac and cheese, you can always count on noodles to be filling, comforting, and delicious.
One of the meals that I think is the most comforting is lasagna. Like I looooove lasagna!
And even though it's traditionally made with loads of cheese, it's also surprisingly easy to make vegan. I love using homemade vegan tofu ricotta as my base, then top it with some vegan shredded cheese. You still get that cheesy texture, but it's 100% safe for those who don't eat dairy.
I've already shared a traditional vegan lasagna, but today we're doing things a tiny bit differently. We're making vegan lasagna roll ups! They're fun to eat, fun to make and great for kids!
What You'll Need for This Recipe
Just like regular lasagna, you don't need much to make vegan lasagna roll ups. You probably have most of these ingredients on hand actually!
- Noodles: any type of lasagna noodle works, but I like to use brown rice noodles since they're naturally gluten-free.
- Vegan ricotta: I always make my own vegan ricotta at home using tofu, but you can also buy vegan ricotta at the store!
- Spinach: you'll want to use frozen spinach here. Simply thaw our the spinach, drain any excess liquid and mix it with the ricotta.
- Tomato sauce: any jarred tomato sauce is totally fine for this recipe, or you could try my easy marinara.
- Vegan shredded cheese: and lastly we've got the shredded cheese on top – any type works!
How to Make Vegan Ricotta
If you want to try your hand at making vegan ricotta at home, there are two types I recommend: tofu ricotta and vegan cashew ricotta. I personally prefer making tofu ricotta because it's so much easier to make.
For vegan tofu ricotta: blend the tofu in a food processor with nutritional yeast, herbs, salt, and almond milk. Once smooth, you'll have a silky, flavorful cheese that's perfect in lasagna!
How to Make Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups
If you've made lasagna before, you can make lasagna roll ups. They're a complete cinch!
- mix together the ricotta and spinach
- you spread the ricotta-spinach mixture on the cooked noodles
- roll the noodles up into spirals and place them in a baking dish
- pour on some sauce and sprinkle on your cheese
and last of all, bake them up!
And that's it. They're an easy vegan dinner idea that's great for meal prep, a weeknight meal, and they're definitely kid-friendly. Oh and YUMMY too!
More Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes
- Broccoli Tofu Stir Fry
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Risotto
- Crockpot Sweet Potato + Black Bean Chili
- Vegetarian Tofu Red Curry
- Slow Cooker Coconut Quinoa Curry
Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups
- 1 package gluten-free lasagna noodles (or lasagna noodles of choice)
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1.5 cups vegan tofu ricotta
- 1 (15 oz) jar tomato sauce of choice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Salt & pepper if needed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degreesºF.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the spinach in a small saute pan. Add a splash of water and allow spinach to wilt. Transfer the spinach to a colander and press out as much additional as possible. Set aside.
- Once the noodles have finished cooking, line the bottom of a 9" x 13" with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Mix together the ricotta and spinach into a bowl. Lay one lasagna noodle on a flat surface. Scoop 3 - 4 tablespoons of ricotta-spinach mixture and place it on the end of the noodle. Spread it across the noodle to form an even, thin layer. Roll the noodle away from you so it forms a tube. Place the lasagna roll up seam side down in the dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning (if using), then pour the remaining sauce over the roll ups. Sprinkle with the shredded vegan cheese.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 - 45 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the lasagna is fully cooked and heated through.
- Cool for about 10 minutes, then slice and serve immediately. Garnish with red pepper flakes and some fresh herbs if desired!