This amazing creamy lemon broccoli pasta uses just one pot and 6 ingredients. This healthy pasta recipe is easy to make, delicious, and vegan!
If you've been looking for the perfect bowl of pasta, here it is. Brimming with flavor, tossed in a delicious cream sauce, studded with perfectly cooked broccoli florets, and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
But what's even more exciting? That bowl of pasta is 100% plant-based!
That's right, we've made a vegan cream sauce, we're using vegan parmesan and yet it's still 100% delicious. A lemon broccoli pasta that everyone will love, yet is just a bit healthier!
How to Make a Vegan Cream Sauce
First, let's talk about cream sauces. The secret to a perfect vegan cream sauce is cashew cream. And actually, that's the only thing we're using here!
I recently shared a post about how to make cashew cream and this is hands down one of the absolute staples in my own plant-based kitchen and something I think you should keep on hand as well.
What's great about cashew cream is that it's easy to make and it can be used as a replacement for heavy cream in almost any recipe!
What's in our Lemon Broccoli Pasta
Not only is this recipe made in one pot, but it only uses a few ingredients as well. Here's what we're using:
- Pasta: I personally love to use chickpea or lentil pasta to get in some protein, but brown rice or even traditional pasta (if you're not gluten-free) will also work.
- Broccoli: this is a great way to sneak in some high nutrient veggies and the little florets hold in all that delicious cream sauce
- Cashew cream: just our simple cashew cream is the base for this delicious creamy pasta
- Vegan parmesan: I use this vegan parmesan from Violife, but if you can't find something like that, you can swap it with nutritional yeast
- Lemon: we're using lemon zest and lemon juice to give this pasta a nice pop and punch of flavor
- Pasta water: if you've never used pasta water in your sauce, it's a great way to add creaminess without adding a ton of extra fat or flavor – the starch in the water adds a sauciness that is just delicious!
And then we're finishing things off with a little bit of salt and pepper. That's it!
How to Make One Pot Pasta
I love making meals like this because you're not making extra dishes, and it still takes about 15 minutes. Looks fancy, tastes fancy and is easy to make? I'm here for it.
STEP ONE: Pasta
First up, start by cooking your pasta. Follow the instructions on your package and set a timer for 2 minutes less than the package indicates.
STEP TWO: Broccoli
Once your timer goes off, scoop about 1/4 cup of pasta water out of the pot and add your broccoli. Stir it together and cook the pasta for the remaining 2 minutes.
STEP THREE: Sauce
Once you've drained the pasta and broccoli, add it back into the pot. Then add your sauce, pasta water, parmesan, lemon and salt and pepper. Toss it all together and serve it up!
Ideas for Jazzing Up Your Broccoli Pasta
While this dish certainly doesn't lack on flavor, there are definitely ways you could jazz it up even more if you wanted.
- Greens: stir in some kale or spinach to get even more veggies in
- Mushrooms: in addition to broccoli, adding in some sliced mushrooms to this dish would be delicious!
- Protein: if you want to skip the chickpea pasta but still want protein, you can add grilled chicken, shrimp, or even salmon
I also think some roasted garlic would be super tasty!
And that pretty much does it for today's broccoli pasta. I can't wait to hear what you think and see your amazing recreations. Be sure to tag us on social using @simplyquinoa!
More Healthy Vegan Pasta Recipes to try:
- Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Noodles
- Rustic Tuscan Pasta with White Beans
- Vegan Truffle Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Walnut Pasta with Butternut Squash
- Vegan Cacio e Pepe Pasta
- Healthy Vegan Pasta Recipes: 6 Delicious Ways
One Pot Creamy Lemon Broccoli Pasta
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. With two minutes left in the cooking, reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water and add the broccoli.
- Cook for the remaining two minutes, then drain the pasta and broccoli and add it back into the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste and add a bit more salt, pepper or cream if needed!