Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
This vegan creamy broccoli soup is made with tons of veggies, has the most luxurious texture and tastes like it has cheese. Such an easy and healthy recipe!
As soon as the leaves start to turn, my mind immediately goes into soup mode. I love a good soup! Especially when it's silky smooth and topped with something I can mix in.
We have a constant debate in my house about creamy vs. broth-based soups and creamy wins out most of the time. Mostly because I'm the cook and I like creamy ????
Today we're whipping up my first creamy soup of the season and I think you're going to love it! We're making a Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup that is made sans cream and sans cheese, but still absolutely scrumptious!
Ingredients for Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
Initially, I wanted to call this a vegan broccoli cheese soup, but as I tasted I realized it was less cheesy and more just creamy broccoli, so that's what we're going with. To make it creamy, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Two are traditional and one is a bit out there, but so tasty.
Here's what we're using to make this soup super creamy:
- Raw cashews: we've talked about how, when blended, raw cashews add the most amazing creamy texture to recipes. We've used them in soups, desserts, smoothies and more and they're our first key to the creamy puzzle.
- Almond milk: the second key to our puzzle is a non-dairy milk. No surprise, but an easy way to add a bit of creaminess instead of just sticking to veggie broth and/or water
- Zucchini: this is the out there one, but it totally works! When you blend up zucchini it gets super creamy and smooth (I use it in smoothies all the time) and it's great in this soup. Plus it has pretty much zero flavor so you're not affecting that at all either!
And don't worry, if you are a cheese lover who also happens to be vegan and/or dairy-free), we've got you. While this isn't necessarily a “cheesy” soup, we're adding a boatload of nutritional yeast which adds a cheesy flavor and amps up the protein content!
What Can I Use to Puree Soup?
Alright so now that we have our secrets to making a creamy vegan soup, let's talk tools. In order to make your soup creamy, you need to puree it. Pureeing soup is actually super simple, but you do need an appliance to do it.
Here's what you can use to puree soup:
1. Blender: this is my favorite method of pureeing soup since it has the best results and is the quickest. I use my Vitamix a3500, but any blender should work. Remember, depending on the size of your jar, you might need to blend in batches!
2. Immersion Blender: this is my next favorite method that also happens to be the cheapest. Immersion blenders do a great job pureeing soup, but they don't get it quite as smooth as a traditional blender. They also work better with soups that are on the thinner side (and I tend to like thicker soups). Either way, they will work with most soups. (*note: they won't work with this recipe because of the cashews)
3. Food Processor: a food processor can work to puree soups, but you won't get it nearly as smooth as you do with either blender. Food processors are really meant to chop things, so while your soup might still be creamy, it will also be slightly chunky at the same time. So basically…it works but it's not my favorite!
Otherwise, if you don't use one of these three tools, you might have a hard time getting that soup to be creamy!
How to Make Soup Puree (Safely)
Now that we've chosen our tools for making our soup, let me give you just a few safety tips. The last thing we want is to have a soup explosion in your kitchen or to burn yourself.
- Allow your soup to cool for at least 10 – 15 minutes before blending
- If using anything except for an immersion blender, blend in batches
- Only fill your blender jar to the max liquid level indicated on the outside
- Use a dishtowel over the top of the blender so any steam or soup residue doesn't burn you
- Make sure your lids are secured and don't walk away from the machines while they're blending
Basically, let it cool and use common sense to avoid getting burned or having a massive mess to clean up ????
The Perfect Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup
And that's pretty much all you need to know before diving into this amazing recipe!
I love serving this vegan broccoli soup with some gluten-free toast and a little roasted broccoli on top. It's also fabulous with a drizzle of olive oil, a crack of fresh pepper and some red pepper flakes for a little heat!
This soup is also meal prep and freezer friendly! You can store it in a sealed glass container in your fridge for 3 – 4 days and can freeze it for up to 6 months. It's one of those recipes I love having a stockpile of so I can pull it out when I need something healthy and cozy!
VIDEO: How to Make Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
More Easy Vegan Soup Recipes:
- Healing Holiday Cauliflower Soup
- Anti-Inflammatory Ginger & Turmeric Carrot Soup
- Creamy Chili Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Super Healthy Green Detox Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
- Vegan White Bean Mushroom Soup
- Curried Cauliflower & Squash Soup
Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots , chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 - 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper as needed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Once hot add the zucchini, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli, raw cashews, vegetable broth, and water. Bring the mixture to a bowl, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the broccoli is soft.
- Transfer this mixutre to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the mixture back into the pot and stir in the almond milk, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. Taste and add a touch more salt and pepper if needed (or red pepper flakes if you like spice!).
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!