This vegan cream of broccoli soup is hearty, healthy, and packed full of veggies. It takes less than an hour to make, but the flavors are rich and complex.
Some days a warm bowl of hearty soup just hits the spot. This vegan cream of broccoli soup is for those days. This is one of the most comforting recipes that I know. I make it when it’s cold out, or when I just need a big bowl of something warm and soothing. It’s a recipe that’s so rich you’ll have a hard time believing that it’s vegan. But I promise, it is!
This soup will leave you feeling great, because it’s that healthy. It’s chock full of veggies, with broccoli, carrots, and zucchini. But it also has protein from nuts, with raw cashews and almond milk in it. And just to top it all off, there’s a ton of nutritional yeast. You couldn’t dream up a healthier recipe!
The yeast and the cashews give this vegan soup a cheesy, creamy taste. It’s unlike any soup I’ve ever made. You’ve got to give it a try.
What You’ll Need
Here’s everything you need to make this comforting veggie soup. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the article to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Olive oil
- Zucchini – You can replace the zucchini with other types of squash if you prefer.
- Onion – I like to use yellow onions for this recipe, but white or red onions will also work.
- Broccoli – You only want to use the florets in this recipe.
- Cashews – Make sure to use cashews that are raw and unsalted.
- Vegetable broth
- Almond milk – If you prefer, you can use other types of non-dairy milk. Just make sure that you use milk that is unseasoned and unsweetened.
- Nutritional yeast
- Lemon juice – Be sure to use freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
- Pepper – Always use freshly-cracked black pepper.
How to Make Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
Here’s how to make this creamy soup. It’s so easy, and takes well under an hour to cook.
- Cook the aromatics. Heat the oil in a pot. When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrots, zucchini, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the broccoli and broth. Put the broccoli, vegetable broth, water, and cashews into the pot.
- Cook. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat. Cover the soup and let it simmer until the broccoli is soft, which should take about 20 minutes.
- Blend. Pour the soup into a blender, and blend until smooth. Then pour the soup back into the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Put the almond milk, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice into the soup, and stir to combine.
- Season. Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper if needed, then serve.
Tips for Success
Here are some tips and tricks I use when making this vegan cream of broccoli soup to make sure that it’s perfect every time.
- Homemade stock. Soup is always better if you use a homemade broth. I like to use my Instant Pot Mushroom Vegan Bone Broth when making this recipe. It adds an extra layer of richness to the soup.
- Blending tips. If you don’t have a standing blender, you can use a stick blender in the soup pot. And if you don’t have either, you can blend the soup in batches in a food processor. If you’re aiming for the smoothest soup possible, pour the blended soup through a sieve before adding it back to the pot.
- Spice it up. If you like a kick of heat, then I recommend adding some red pepper flakes to the soup. You can also add fresh peppers or hot sauce if you prefer.
- Have fun with toppings. I love to garnish my soups. This creamy squash and broccoli soup would go well with a lot of different garnishes, so add whatever sounds good to you. I recommend olive oil, chili flakes, croutons, vegan creme fraiche, and fresh herbs.
What to Serve it With
This soup has enough protein, nutrients, and flavor that you can eat it all by itself and it will be a satisfying and well-rounded meal. But I love a good side dish, so I’d serve it with one (or two!) of these recipes.
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 5 Ingredient Sauteed Garlic Green Beans
- Easy Gluten-Free Veggie Fritters
- One Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Cornbread
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Broccoli Soup
This soup lasts well in the fridge. Just store it in an airtight container and it will last for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stove over medium heat until warm, or in a microwave on 80% power in 20-second increments.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Definitely! This soup freezes really well for easy weeknight meals. Keep it in an airtight container and it will stay good in the freezer for 6 months. Defrost or thaw the soup completely before reheating it.
More Easy Vegan Soup Recipes
By now you’ve probably figured out that I love soup. If you do too, then check out some more of my favorite soups that are easy, healthy, and vegan.
- Leek and Potato Soup
- Chilled Avocado & Zucchini Soup
- Tortilla Soup with Quinoa
- Detox Moroccan Lentil Soup
- Cauliflower Soup
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 zucchini , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots , chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 – 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper as needed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Once hot, add the zucchini, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broccoli, raw cashews, vegetable broth, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the broccoli is soft.
- Transfer this mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the mixture back into the pot and stir in the almond milk, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice. Taste and add a touch more salt and pepper if needed (or red pepper flakes if you like spice!).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for 6 months.
- Reheat on the stove over medium heat, or in the microwave on 80% power in 20-second increments.
- If you don't have a blender, you can use a stick blender or a food processor.