Gluten-Free + Vegan Pumpkin Bread
This healthy Gluten-Free + Vegan Pumpkin Bread recipe is packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats. It's also low in sugar and is the perfect breakfast!
Happy Halloween! I can't believe we're already at the end of October, but seeing as this is a holiday to celebrate all things sweet and pumpkin, I figured it was the perfect time to give you this updated version of my vegan pumpkin bread!
Plus, now that the weather has finally turned and the leaves are starting to fall, there's nothing better than toasting up a few slices of this incredible vegan pumpkin bread to start your day off right!
Yes it's true…I've been forgoing my morning smoothie bowls, but I wouldn't have it any other way. There is just something so cozy and comforting about waking up and nourishing your body with a warm, hearty and protein-packed meal!
I've been making almond flour based quick breads for a few years now, but I have struggled to veganize them. But since I know a lot of you don't eat eggs, either because you're plant-based or sensitive, I wanted to give you a vegan version of my favorite quick bread recipe to date.
This healthy pumpkin bread is not only vegan, but it's also naturally gluten-free, packed with healthy fats, fiber and protein and uses just 6 tablespoons of added sweetener!
Unlike traditional pumpkin bread recipes, that call for over a cup of sugar and oil, this recipe is light and tender, without sacrificing on any flavor.
The trick is to use almond flour AND quinoa flour together as they're both naturally high in protein (helping to give the bread some lift), but also higher in healthy fats so they help keep it moist.
How does that break down nutritionally? Let's look at a slice of Starbuck's pumpkin bread vs. this vegan pumpkin bread recipe:
- Calories: 410 vs. 160
- Fat: 15g vs. 9g
- Sugar: 39g vs. 9g
- Protein: 6g vs. 5g
Kinda crazy, right?!
And yet this recipe is still perfectly sweet, toasts up beautifully, has all those warming fall spices and tastes absolutely amazing!
For serving, I'm always partial to slathering on some sort of nut butter!
I particularly love my maple cinnamon mixed nut butter, but it's also amazing with some honey roasted peanut butter and apple slices on top. If you're not a nut butter fan, it's super tasty with some coconut yogurt or even just a non-dairy buttery spread.
Honestly, you can't go wrong!
If you're looking for even more vegan pumpkin recipes, you should definitely try my Skinny Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins, my Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies or my 90-second Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bowls!
Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal divided
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Turbinado sugar + pumpkin seeds to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal with the water. Set aside to gel for at least 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- To the bowl with the flaxseed eggs, stir in pumpkin, syrup, non-dairy milk, oil and vinegar and beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips if desired.
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf tin, sprinkle with sugar and pumpkin seeds if using, and bake on the center rack for 50 - 60 minutes until the top has turned golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 1 hour then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.