Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
This healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe makes for an epic breakfast or snack! High in protein, healthy fats, complex carbs and minimally sweetened!
As we're heading into the final weeks of summer, I thought it would be appropriate to share a wholesome, delicious way to use up zucchini!
Zucchini is probably one of my absolute favorite summer vegetables. Not only is it high in fiber and super hydrating, but it's also incredibly versatile. You can make zucchini noodles with avocado alfredo, you can add it to your smoothies, you can make zucchini bread breakfast cookies OR you could whip up this outrageously healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread!
And it just so happens this tasty little number makes a perfect back-to-school snack!
If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen my story from a few days ago chatting about quick breads.
I'm a HUGE fan of quick breads because they're a cinch to make, I love all the different flavor combos you can create and it just so happens that I figure out the perfect formula.
This formula is one that I've been using over and over again to create my healthy quick bread recipes.
You might actually recognize it if you've tried any of my other recipes (there are 4 different variations on the blog so far!), and it has yet to fail me.
The base is a blend of almond and quinoa flours which I think are a perfect combination. You get the healthy fat, protein and tender texture from the almond flour, while the quinoa adds structure and lift with the high protein content. Plus you're also getting all those amazing vitamins and minerals from these two superfoods.
What I absolutely LOVE about this formula is that it doesn't require much-added sweetness or oil. I know many of you are watching your sugar intake, which I think is so important, and some other folks are cutting back on oils.
Unlike other traditional chocolate chip zucchini breads, this recipe uses just 1/4 cup of added sweetener and 1 tablespoon of oil. Yup, that's it! I found a recipe on Food Network that called for 1 cups of white sugar and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil ????
And yet my healthy chocolate chip zucchini bread is still totally sweet, has the perfect springy texture and tastes just a delicious as the “real” thing.
My favorite way to enjoy this zucchini bread is slightly warm with a smear of nut butter.
It makes a delicious afternoon snack, quick breakfast or late-night treat. I mean you really do have it all with this recipe:
How can we so no to something like that?! (<– answer is, you can't)
I'm so excited to see you try this recipe and can't wait to hear what you think. Bonus points if you make a double batch and freeze your slices so you can have chocolate chip zucchini bread all year long!
And like I mentioned, there are plenty of other quick bread recipes on the blog to try. You could whip up my Healthy Pumpkin Bread recipe this fall and/or serve this delicious Cranberry Quinoa Banana Bread during the holidays!
Last but not least, if you do end up trying this recipe, I'd love to see a pic ❤️ you can tag me on Instagram using @simplyquinoa or #simplyquinoa and I'll be able to give you a like and love in return!
More Healthy Quick Loaf Recipes:
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Bread
- Cranberry Quinoa Banana Bread
- Gingerbread Loaf
Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana measured, from about 2 small
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup shredded zucchini pressed of juice
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips + more for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, banana, syrup, oil and vinegar. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir together until a thick batter has formed.
- Shred the zucchini and press the juices out using a clean dish towel. Add zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter and fold together.
- Transfer batter to the prepared loaf tin, sprinkle with additional chocolate chips and shredded zucchini if desired. Bake on the center rack for 45 - 55 minutes (mine took around 48) until the top has turned golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 1 hour then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing. It's important the loaf has completely cooled or else it might be soggy in the center!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!