Healthy Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
These chewy ginger molasses cookies are a healthy sweet treat and just perfect for the holidays! Gluten-free, grain-free & vegan too!
There's nothing that gets me into the holiday season more than baking cookies. I started the day before Thanksgiving and I haven't stopped for the past week. I've made at least 6 dozen cookies and I can officially say… I'm feeling all sorts of holiday-inspired!
A few of those recipes I've loved (and will be sharing soon), but my favorite by far has been these Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies! Not only are they healthy, but they're also vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, paleo and use just one bowl.
Basically, they're the easiest cookie ever and you're going to love them!
I'm bringing you today's recipe in partnership with my friends at Simply Organic. I've talked about them numerous times before, and while I use their spices all year round, it's holiday time that I really rely on them.
Simply Organic has a spice for all of your baking needs! Everything from the classics like cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, to the more obscure ones like five spice or cardamom, there is a spice to bring flavor and excitement to your holidays.
This post is also part of their Cook For A Change campaign which is all about encouraging you to cook from scratch this holiday season and infuse more joy into your life through healthy food shared with your loved ones. And guess what? That's exactly what these cookies will do!
There's nothing better than sharing a big plate of healthy cookies with your family and friends and seeing their smiles as they take the first bite!
If you love gingersnaps, you're going to adore these cookies. As the name suggests, ginger is the prominent spice used and it's really what gives these cookies their depth of flavor. We're using 1 teaspoon per batch, but if that feels a little too spicy for you, feel free to tone it down to 1/2 teaspoon.
Allspice is actually a whole spice that has been ground into a powder. The name was coined hundreds of years ago because it combined the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves (<– which I'm sure as you know are very prominent in holiday baking!). With just the smallest addition of allspice, we really round out the flavor of these chewy ginger molasses cookies!
The base of these cookies is almond butter, with a combination of coconut sugar and molasses to give them a touch of sweetness, but also keeping them lower on the glycemic index.
We're also adding some coconut flour at the very end, which you can't taste but gives these cookies a really nice, cakey texture.
To me, the perfect texture for these chewy ginger molasses cookies is when they have crispy edges and a gooey center.
That's exactly what these cookies have, but there are a few tricks to getting them there:
- Gently flatten them with your fingers to ensure they spread out and are thin
- Let them cool on the pan for about 10 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack
- And finally, cool them completely on the rack before diving in!
One of my favorite things about holiday cookie baking is that they make amazing edible (and low cost) gifts!
I tested these cookies at least 4 times and was left with at least 40 cookies. While I'd love to eat all those cookies myself, my gut wouldn't be so happy with that decision, so I decided to package them up and give them away to my mail woman and UPS man. I get LOTS of packages delivered so they're very familiar with me and Trevi ????
But in all seriousness, edible gifts are a really great option if you're on a semi-tight budget or you're shopping for someone who just doesn't need anything (hey, grandma!). Bake them a batch of cookies and I promise they'll love it!
There are a few packaging options, but I like to use these cute holiday-inspired cellophane bags with a little tag, but you could also package them up in cookie boxes with a handwritten note. It's thoughtful, creative and something they will so appreciate!
Happy holiday baking to you and yours! There will be more healthy holiday cookies coming your way soon, so stay tuned!
How to make the Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
VIDEO: How to Make Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
More Holiday Cookies to try:
- Orange Cardamom Sugar Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Spicy Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Sugar Cookies with Matcha Icing
- Pizzelle Cookies
Healthy Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- Raw turbinado sugar for sprinkling optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flax egg, almond butter, coconut sugar, molasses and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the spices, salt, baking soda and coconut flour and beat again until a sticky dough forms.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop the dough onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies at least 2" apart. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Gently flatten the cookies with your hands and sprinkle with sugar. Bake on the center rack for 11 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes on the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once cool, pack up and/or enjoy!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.