Simple, classic and delicious. Just how pancakes should be. Perfect for a lazy weekend.
My perfect weekend morning looks a little something like this: we wake up late and head to our local coffee and juice shops (coffee for him, juice for her), then meander our way through Central Park with Trevi in tow. The sun is shining, but it’s not hot. The park lights up with that soft morning glow. It’s peaceful. Calm. Serene. Perfect. When we get back home, it’s time for breakfast – and magically a big stack of these blueberry quinoa pancakes appear in front of me. No cooking or anything.
I mean come on…is that not perfect?
Currently? Life is a bit more hectic.
We’re just getting back from spending two weeks in Costa Rica, and while fully relaxed and rejuvenated, coming home is always a teeny bit stressful. We flew through the night and are now racing back from JFK to pick up Trevi – this is the longest we’ve been away from her and I can’t wait to give her tons of love and snuggles.
So we’ll arrive back to the apartment around 8am and probably want to crash. Only to wake up to no food in the house. (…just the worst)
Except if you’ve planned ahead and made sure that you have all the fixings to make these glorious blueberry quinoa pancakes. (yessss, welcome home to us!)
Luckily, they don’t take anything that I don’t always have on hand – quinoa flour, almond flour, arrowroot starch, flaxseed meal, non-dairy milk (which I’ll whip up just before), lemon and frozen berries. They’re quick, effortless and oh-so perfectly fluffy.
But before we dive into the pancakes…we have to talk about this honey-blueberry sauce you guys. It’s seriously amazing!
Move over maple syrup because there’s a new pancake topping in the house! (I can’t believe I actually just wrote that. maple syrup = my life)
All you need to make this magical sauce are frozen blueberries, some honey (or maple syrup – yes it’s back in the game! – to make this breakfast 100% vegan), a spritz of lemon juice and some chia seeds. Pop them in a pan, let them simmer away for a few minutes then remove the sauce from the heat and let it thicken slightly from the chia seeds. It’s a sweet blueberry explosion of goodness.
Basically I need to drizzle this sauce all over every single breakfast treat ever. Pancakes? Yes. Waffles? Yes. French Toast? Heck yes. Oatmeal? Ummm…drooling.
You could even add just a bit more chia seeds and turn it into a jam. Perfect for toast!
But for now, I'll be enjoying it over this fluffy stack of quinoa pancakes as I curl up with Trevi 🙂
Love these pancakes? Share them with your friends!
- 1 cup toasted quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, but frozen will turn them more blue!)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (or more depending on desired consistency)
- Preheat a griddle over medium low heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms. Stir in the lemon zest, followed by the blueberries.
- Lightly grease your griddle with nonstick cooking spray or coconut oil. Ladle ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle and repeat until you have filled your pan. Cook the pancakes until small bubbles begin to form, about 2 – 3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 1 – 2 minutes longer until the other sides are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and repeat until no batter remains.
- While the pancakes are cooking, add all the sauce ingredients (minus chia seeds) to a small saucepan. Heat over medium and bring the mixture to a bowl. Turn down to low and let simmer for 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds. Let sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve pancakes warm with blueberry sauce and a pat of vegan butter if desired. Enjoy!
|Serving Size||2 – 3 pancakes|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 186kcal Calories from fat 81|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Other Quinoa Breakfast Recipes:
Superfood Chocolate Quinoa Pancakes (Simply Quinoa)
Strawberry + Coconut Overnight Quinoa (Simply Quinoa)
Simple Quinoa Breakfast Bars (Super Healthy Kids)
Roasted Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls (Recipe Runner)
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your own quinoa creations!