Easy to make, super creamy and healthy, this is the best Roasted Vegan Butternut Squash Soup you'll ever taste. Made with ingredients like butternut squash, ginger, garlic, onion, and tomato, this soup is also dairy-free and gluten-free!
Ultimately, this really is the best butternut squash soup recipe I've had. It's spicy, from the ginger, and so creamy without using cream. It's vegan, gluten-free, paleo and so easy to make. To me, this is the perfect vegan butternut squash soup and I know you're going L-O-V-E it!!
This soup is crazy simple to make – you basically just roast all the veggies on one pan – and it's got a kick of ginger at the end. It's creamy, but dairy-free of course, and makes for amazing leftovers too!
Why You'll Love This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Here are a few reasons this may just be my all-time favorite butternut squash recipe.
- Super healthy. This creamy soup is loaded with nothing but veggies and herbs. It's vegetarian, vegan, paleo, and gluten-free so pretty much anyone can enjoy it.
- Easy to make. Roast the veggies, blend, warm, and enjoy. That's all you need to do!
- Just the right amount of spice. Grated ginger gives just soup a little kick – but only as much as you want. Add more or less ginger to control the flavor.
WATCH: How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
What You'll Need
Here's what you need to make this vegan butternut squash soup. While it might seem like a simple ingredient list, the flavor is anything but!
- Butternut squash – Blended roasted squash has a luscious, silky and creamy texture so you don't need added cream.
- Carrots – Carrots add more nutrients plus a sweetness to the soup.
- Tomato – Adds umami flavor and extra color.
- Onion – I use red onion, but yellow or white will also work.
- Garlic – Adds a delicious flavor base.
- Almond milk – Feel free to use coconut, cashew or another dairy-free milk.
- Veggie broth – Use store-bought or make your own!
- Ginger – For added health benefits and a bit of spice.
How to Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
When I say this vegan butternut squash soup recipe is easy, I'm not kidding. It's basically 1, 2, 3, done.
- Roast the veggies. Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds, peel the garlic, and cut the onion in half. Place on the baking sheet with the carrot and tomato. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Blend. Scoop the squash into the blender, peel the onion and add it to the blender as well as with the carrots, garlic, and tomato. Grate the ginger and season with salt and pepper. Blend in the liquids, starting with 2 cups, until smooth.
- Taste test and enjoy. Taste test and adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy!
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips for making this vegan butternut squash soup recipe.
- How do I know when the squash is ready? Your roasted butternut squash is ready when you can easily pierce the squash with a knife.
- Let it cool for a few minutes. After roasting the veggies, I recommend letting them cool for 5-10 minutes before attempting to handle them.
- Start with less liquid. Blend in the liquid slowly. I start with 2 cups and add more as needed. The final amount will depend on your desired soup consistency.
- Heat if necessary. If the blended soup isn't at your desired temperature, warm it up on the stovetop until hot.
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup
I find that vegan butternut squash soup goes well with many different things. Whether you're wanting it as a main course and serve it with some a massaged kale salad and some bread (or pumpkin cornbread – yum), or as an appetizer, it's flexible.
If you are serving it as an appetizer, my favorite main course options are:
Soup Topping Ideas
- Fridge. Store leftover vegan butternut squash soup soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
- Freezer. You can also keep it in the freezer for up to six months. Defrost the soup in the fridge overnight.
- Reheat. Reheat the soup on the stove or in the microwave.
More Cozy Vegan Soup Recipes to try
- Detox Moroccan Lentil Soup
- Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Coconut Mushroom + Quinoa Soup
- Super Healthy Green Detox Soup
- Lemon + Garlic Wild Rice Soup
If you make this healthy vegan roasted butternut squash soup, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium roma tomato
- 3 large carrots , chopped
- 1 ” piece of ginger
- 2 cups water or veggie broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Peel the garlic cloves and place the garlic on the baking sheet. Cover the garlic with one of the holes of the butternut squash. (see the video if that doesn't make sense!)
- Cut the onion and half and place face down on the baking sheet.
- Add the carrot and tomato to the baking sheet as well and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake on the center rack for 30 minutes or until a knife can easily pierce the skin of the squash. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5(ish) minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, scoop the squash into a blender. Peel the skin from the onion and add that along with the carrots, garlic, and tomato. Grate the ginger into the blender and add a dash more of salt and pepper.
- Add the liquids to the blender, starting with 2 cups. Blend until smooth. If too thick, add more broth a little at a time and continue to blend until you reach the consistency you're looking for. (some like it thicker, some like it thin!)
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Heat blended soup in a pot if it is not hot enough and then serve!