This is the best Roasted Vegan Butternut Squash Soup you'll ever taste. It's easy to make, super creamy and also healthy! Made with roasted butternut squash, ginger, garlic, onion, and tomato, this soup is deliciously dairy-free and gluten-free too!
The Best Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Ultimately, this really is the best butternut squash soup recipe I've had. It's spicy, from the ginger, and so creamy without using cream. It's vegan, gluten-free, paleo and so easy to make. To me, this is the perfect vegan butternut squash soup and I know you're going L-O-V-E it!!
This soup is crazy simple to make – you basically just roast all the veggies on one pan – and it's got a kick of ginger at the end. It's creamy, but dairy-free of course, and makes for amazing leftovers too!
What You'll Learn in this post:
- WATCH: How to Make This Soup
- The Best Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup
- How to Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Silky Smooth
- What to Serve with This Creamy Squash Soup
- Why this is the BEST Butternut Squash Soup You'll Make
WATCH: How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
Here's what you need to make this veggie-packed butternut squash soup:
- Butternut squash. Blended roasted squash has a luscious, silky and creamy texture so you don't need added cream.
- Carrots add sweetness.
- Tomato for umami and extra color.
- Onion. I use red onion, but yellow or white will also work.
- Garlic for a delicious flavor base.
- Almond milk. Feel free to use coconut, cashew or another dairy-free milk.
- Veggie broth. Use store-bought or make your own!
- Ginger. For health benefits and a bit of spice.
And while it might seem like a simple ingredient list, the flavor is amazing!
How to Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
When I say this soup is easy, I'm not kidding. It's basically 1, 2, 3, done.
STEP ONE: Roast
First up, roast all of the vegetables and aromatics. First, cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
Peel the garlic and place it on the pan, then cover the garlic with the squash (so the garlic is in the “hole” of the squash).
Finally, cut the tomato and onion in half and place them face down on the pan as well. Roast in a hot oven until everything is soft, and slightly caramelized. This will add wonderful flavor to your soup.
STEP TWO: Blend
Once you've roasted the veggies, scoop out the squash and add the rest of the veggies into a blender. Add the ginger and broth and blend it up until it's smooth and creamy! You can also make the soup with an immersion blender if you prefer.
STEP THREE: Serve
Once it's all blended up, it might need to be slightly reheated (which you can do on the stove or in the microwave). Then just pour it into your bowls and enjoy! I like to sprinkle on some fresh herbs and a dollop of yogurt, but that's up to you!
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup
I find that butternut squash soup goes well with many different things. Whether you're wanting it as a main course and serve it with some a massaged kale salad and some bread (or pumpkin cornbread – yum), or as an appetizer, it's flexible. If you are serving it as an appetizer, my favorite main course options are:
Soup Topping Ideas
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Or keep it in the freezer for up to six months. Defrost the soup in the fridge overnight, then reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
More Cozy Vegan Soup Recipes to try
- Detox Moroccan Lentil Soup
- Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Coconut Mushroom + Quinoa Soup
- Super Healthy Green Detox Soup
- Lemon + Garlic Wild Rice Soup
If you make this healthy vegan roasted butternut squash soup, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Spicy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 5 - 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium roma tomato
- 3 large carrots , chopped
- 1 " piece of ginger
- 2 cups water or veggie broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Peel the garlic cloves and place the garlic on the baking sheet. Cover the garlic with one of the holes of the butternut squash. (see the video if that doesn't make sense!)
- Cut the onion and half and place face down on the baking sheet.
- Add the carrot and tomato to the baking sheet as well and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake on the center rack for 30 minutes or until a knife can easily pierce the skin of the squash. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5(ish) minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, scoop the squash into a blender. Peel the skin from the onion and add that along with the carrots, garlic, and tomato. Grate the ginger into the blender and add a dash more of salt and pepper.
- Add the liquids to the blender, starting with 2 cups. Blend until smooth. If too thick, add more broth a little at a time and continue to blend until you reach the consistency you're looking for. (some like it thicker, some like it thin!)
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Heat blended soup in a pot if it is not hot enough and then serve!