These 27 healthy summer side dish recipes are perfect for picnics, BBQs, and laid-back nights eating in. From fritters to laws to salads, there are vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options for everyone.
Summer is here which means grilling for the Fourth of July, outdoor BBQs while laying by the pool, and lots of summer get-togethers with friends and family! If you follow a vegan or gluten-free diet, sometimes potluck events can be tricky. If you're worried about only having meat, dairy or gluten-filled options at your next get-together, these 27 healthy summer side dishes will save you.
This list has tons of vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and overall healthy recipes for you to choose from. Of course, they're full of fresh summer produce. You can expect plenty of eggplant, peaches, zucchini, berries, and more! Whether you need to feed a crowd or just need to add a quick side to dinner, I've got you covered.
Many of these recipes are from SQ, but I've also included recipes from some of my favorite bloggers. There's sure to be something for everyone on this list! Don't forget to pin this post so that you can come back to this list over and over again!
The Best Healthy Summer Side Dishes
Healthy Veggie Slaw Recipes
- Healthy Carrot Slaw with Sesame Dressing is crunchy and creamy at the same time with delicious tahini dressing.
- Mayo-Free Vegan Coleslaw with Spicy Tahini Sauce is my twist on classic cabbage slaw with no dairy.
- Summertime Asian Quinoa Slaw gets a boost of plant-based protein from cooked quinoa.
- Red Cabbage Slaw with Chipotle-Lime Dressing from Inspiralized is a healthy vegan slaw with a bold and spicy dressing.
Best Vegetable Salad Recipes for Summer
- Grilled Vegetable Salad for Summer features your favorite seasonal produce with nice char from the grill.
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Toasted Quinoa is light, refreshing and has natural sweetness from strawberries.
- Blueberry Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette features one of my favorite herbs, basil, in a delicious lemony dressing.
- Vegan Nicoise Salad Recipe + Video is a plant-based take on the classic French salad with green beans and a surprising swap for tuna.
Grilled Side Dishes
- Grilled Corn Quinoa Salad has sweet corn with a nice char for flavor and texture.
- Barbecue Grilled Pineapple & Tofu Kebabs are sweet, savory and a bit spicy from BBQ sauce.
- Grilled Peach Salsa is a use-on-anything crowd-pleasing side dish or condiment for picnics.
- Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Avocado is a high-protein side dish that can double as an entree for plant-based eaters.
- Grilled Corn with Sriracha Aioli from Minimalist Baker is a must-have side dish at any cookout. It's perfectly sweet and spicy.
Healthy Summer Potato Recipes
- Healthy Potato Salad Recipe is my family's favorite summer side dish for barbecues.
- No-Mayo Potato Salad from Eating Bird Food is a colorful and classic side dish without dairy.
- Quick & Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Tots are crunchy, sweet and totally addicting.
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are loaded to the brim with zesty quinoa filling.
Pasta Salad Side Dish Recipes
- Creamy Hummus Pasta Salad is as luscious and satisfying as regular pasta salad, without any dairy!
- Smoked Salmon Pasta Salad has smoky, salty salmon mixed in for protein.
- Vegan Caesar Pasta Salad is creamy, tangy and bright but totally dairy-free and egg-free.
Healthy Toppings & Condiment Ideas
- Spicy Mango Guacamole has a nice tropical vibe that's great with chips or veggies.
- Super Easy Spicy Mango Salsa can be as hot or mild as you like and is great with grilled veggies, burgers or tofu.
- Grilled Corn + Avocado Salsa is a favorite summer side dish with anything from seafood to veggie burgers
Healthy Fritters for Summer
- Easy Gluten-Free Veggie Fritters are crisp and packed with any veggies you have on hand.
- 5-Ingredient Healthy Zucchini Fritters are the perfect way to use excess zucchini.
- Curried Carrot + Sweet Potato Fritters are full of spices and have a beautiful bright orange color.
- Healthy Spaghetti Squash Fritters are light, low-carb and vegan.
If you make any of these healthy summer side dishes, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!