These are the BEST Healthy Pumpkin Recipes to make this fall, including sweet desserts, savory lunches and dinners, and must-try snacks for back-to-school.
Fall is my favorite time of year for some many reasons. I love the cool, crisp mornings. The sweater, jeans and booties outfits. The soups and stews simmering on the stoves. And of course, the pumpkin. All things pumpkin!
To celebrate this magical time of year, I've rounded up the best, most delicious and healthy pumpkin recipes! There's sweet, there's savory and there's something for everyone! We're talking about everything from pumpkin muffins to pumpkin pasta. Including vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and meat-based recipes for every palate.
Canned Pumpkin vs. Fresh Pumpkin for Cooking
When you're shopping for pumpkin for cooking, you have two choices: canned or fresh. For me, the most convenient thing is canned, but I have found that the two are slightly different. So you might want to keep that in mind when you're cooking/baking!
- Canned: richer in color/darker and thicker with less moisture
- Fresh: you roast the pumpkin and then puree it, so it's typically a bit thinner and more watery. You might want to adjust your quantities of dry ingredients to compensate!
But for the most part, these two are interchangeable and can be used in any of the recipes you see here.
Pumpin Bread Recipes
I've got to start this list of healthy pumpkin recipes with my favorite: pumpkin bread! In my mind, there's nothing better than a slice of warm pumpkin bread with a pat of butter and a mug of tea.
- Coconut Flour Pumpkin Bread is gluten free and made with fluffy coconut flour for a rich and decadent texture.
- One Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Cornbread is a unique sweet-meets-savory side dish for Thanksgiving.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Quinoa Bread has a favorite combination of pumpkin and chocolate.
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Bread is my go-to for bringing to brunch with friends who don't eat gluten or eggs/dairy.
- Quinoa + Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread has a nutty flour combination that's gluten-free and totally delicious.
- Healthy Low Sugar Pumpkin Bread from Eating Bird Food is a great option if you're not gluten-free.
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread from Well Plated is a healthy grain-free option.
- Pumpkin Sandwich Bread is a savory and light everyday bread that's great as toast.
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
If you prefer muffins to bread, you can often use the pumpkin bread batter from any of the recipes above to make cute muffins for sharing.
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are egg-free, dairy-free and full of chocolatey goodness.
- Skinny Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins are lighter than other options and are made with quinoa flour.
- Mini Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins are a favorite in my house for a fall side dish.
- Super Healthy Pumpkin Muffins from Chocolate Covered Katie are full of good-for-you ingredients.
Pumpkin Oatmeal + Granola Recipes
Pumpkin is a great addition to oatmeal and granola and is probably the way I use it most frequently at home. I love a good bowl of pumpkin oatmeal! And pumpkin granola is in constant rotation in my house all year long.
- Vegan Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal is a crispy and warming topper for yogurt and smoothie bowls.
- Healthy Pumpkin Granola has good-for-you fats from nuts and seeds.
- 90-second Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Quinoa is my go-to weekday breakfast all fall.
- Creamy Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats are a satisfying hot breakfast perfect for sharing.
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Quinoa recipe is a great meal prep option.
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Granola from Minimalist Baker is sweetened with real maple syrup for a classic New England flavor.
More Healthy Pumpkin Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy & Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pancakes are thick, fluffy and full of healthy ingredients like quinoa.
- Pumpkin Cornbread French Toast has a crisp crust and a soft, gooey center.
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Donuts are a fun fall treat that happens to be allergy-friendly.
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Coffee Cake has a dense, moist texture and travels well.
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes are a popular brunch treat for a crowd.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Smoothie tastes like a decadent dessert for breakfast!
- The Best Pumpkin Spinach Smoothie is a healthy version packed with vitamins and greens!
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Matcha Latte is my favorite way to treat myself to a coffee house drink at home.
Healthy Pumpkin Bars
For the sweet stuff, you'll love these gooey layered pumpkin bar recipes:
- Easy Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie Bars are a great way to make this classic Thanksgiving treat in a sharable shape.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bars are healthy enough for breakfast but don't lack plenty of chocolate!
- Flourless Pumpkin Tahini Blondies are nutty, creamy and full of sesame flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bars have high-protein quinoa and pumpkin pie spices perfect for fall.
- Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter Blondies have plenty of warming spices and hearty almond butter for protein and texture.
- No Bake Pumpkinie Bars from Eating Bird Food are a quick oven-free recipe you can throw together.
Pumpkin Cookie Recipes
Whether you're craving something soft and pillowy, maybe something peanut butter-y, or even just an old-fashioned oatmeal cookie, we've got some for you here!
- Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cookies are bound together with smooth and creamy peanut butter.
- Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies are a great to-go breakfast for the fall.
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cookies are soft, chewy and so good fresh out of the oven.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies have added protein and heft from my favorite ingredient: quinoa!
- Pumpkin Spice Tahini Cookies from Veggiekins compliment cinnamon and nutmeg with creamy tahini.
More Pumpkin Desserts
Pumpkin is most classically known for desserts, so for those recipes that don't fall in our bar/cookie categories, we've put them here. We've got vegan pumpkin pie, truffles, ice cream, and more!
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie with Almond Flour Crust is a must-have for Thanksgiving.
- No-Bake Pumpkin Spice Truffles are cute, sweet two-bite treats.
- Mini Paleo Pumpkin Pies are grain-free and naturally sweetened for a healthier dessert.
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream from Minimalist Baker is a great complement to pumpkin pie to go all-out with pumpkin flavors.
Pumpkin Soup Recipes
Now we're onto the savory part of our healthy pumpkin recipes list and we're kicking things off with soup. Pumpkin is an amazing addition to the soup – it helps make soups thick and creamy, while also bringing a really lovely subtle flavor.
- Creamy Chili Roasted Pumpkin Soup is pureed to a silky smooth texture.
- Creamy Chickpea + Pumpkin Stew is a hearty plant-based fall dinner.
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Quinoa Chili is gently spiced and sweet.
- Yellow Chickpea Pumpkin Curry from Ambitious Kitchen has warming Indian spices and hearty chickpeas.
Pumpkin Pasta Recipes
And lastly, we have pasta! Pumpkin can be used in pasta sauces and it's absolutely delicious. We've got a few fun ways to use pumpkin in pasta, including mac and cheese, alfredo, lasagna, and more!
- Baked Vegan Pumpkin Pasta is ultra creamy and totally dairy-free!
- Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Noodles is the perfect fall twist on classic Alfredo flavors.
- 2-Ingredient Pumpkin Gnocchi by Veggiekins make cute, homemade gnocchi for your favorite sauces.
- Vegan Penne with Pumpkin Cream Sauce by Running on Real Food is decadent, over the top and perfect for impressing guests.
- Vegan Pumpkin Lasagna Roll Ups by This Savory Vegan is a hearty fall casserole recipe.
If you make any of these healthy pumpkin recipes, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!